News

Jeanie Buss Reveals She Was Surprised Of Magic Johnson’s Exit With The Lakers, Backing Pelinka

Los Angeles Lakers controlling owner Jeanie Buss revealed at the NBA Awards on Monday night that she was surprised at Magic Johnson’s exit of the franchise earlier this year.

“As surprising as it was, it kind of reminded me of back in 1981 when he asked to be traded after winning a championship with the Lakers because he wasn’t happy with the way the offense had changed,” Buss said, according to USA Today. “That led us to getting Pat Riley as our head coach. So he’s got good instincts. He’s got to stay true to who he is and do what’s right for him. I wish I would’ve had a little bit more notice, but I think we’re going to be just fine.”

After Johnson left the organization, he went on ESPN’s First Take with Stephen A. Smith and said he was being stabbed in the back by Rob Pelinka, the man in charge of basketball operations and general manager of the Lakers.

“I wasn’t having fun coming to work anymore,” Johnson said in May, according to the New York Post. “Especially when I gotta work beside [Pelinka], knowing that you want my position.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Pelinka has taken over the basketball operations for the Lakers, and hasn’t fallen short of success so far, signing Anthony Davis earlier this offseason.

“I’ve always had confidence in Rob,” Buss said, according to ESPN. “Whatever the speculation that’s out there, we don’t need the outside media to validate the things that we do. I’m very happy, I think we are on the right path, but there’s still more work to do.”

SPORTS FIGURES WHO DIED IN 2019- TRIBUTE SLIDESHOW

With a squad built around LeBron James and Davis, the Lakers are instantly championship-quality contenders, as the two stars are in the top-five of the NBA. It is now up to Pelinka and his team to build a solid group of role players around their stars. They gave up Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Josh Hart, which has the team lacking significant strength at the guard position, but with their remaining cap space (around $23 – $27 million), they have the space to sign a bundle of role players, or perhaps a star guard, such as free agents D’Angelo Russell or Kyrie Irving

Tyler Pence

Recent Posts

Thunder’s Alex Caruso Goes Viral For Shoving Camera Away From Huddle During Tense Moment

We are witnessing a historic NBA playoff series. Basketball needed this—potential new rivals, the Oklahoma…

18 hours ago

Will Pep Guardiola Leave Man City As The GOAT?

Pep Guardiola is nearing the end of one of the most successful runs in soccer…

18 hours ago

PGA Championship Winner Aaron Rai Credits His Success To Wife Bishnoi – Who Frequently Beats Him

Aaron Rai has been one of golf's finest talents.Rai, who recently captured his first major…

1 day ago

NFL Sends Jaxon Smith-Njigba Wrong Trophy: ‘It’s Getting Disrespectful At This Point’

Seattle Seahawks' star Jaxon Smith-Njigba has another reason to feel pissed off.JSN posted a video…

1 day ago

Urban Meyer Loses His Bid For $30M Payday From Jaguars After Firing ‘For Cause’

Urban Meyer took another L in the NFL. It’s been four years, and the Jacksonville…

1 day ago

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

3 days ago