NHL Releases Stanley Cup Finals Schedule After Capitals’ 4-0 Game 7 Win Vs. Lightning
On Thursday, the NHL released the full schedule for the Finals, which will feature the Capitals facing off against the Vegas Golden Knights.
Here is the schedule: (all times are in EST)
- Game 1: Capitals at Golden Knights — Monday, May 28, 8 p.m.
- Game 2: Capitals at Golden Knights — Wednesday, May 30, 8 p.m.
- Game 3: Golden Knights at Capitals — Saturday, June 2, 8 p.m.
- Game 4: Golden Knights at Capitals — Monday, June 4, 8 p.m.
- Game 5: (if necessary) Capitals at Knights — Thursday, June 7, 8 p.m.
- Game 6: (if necessary) Golden Knights at Capitals — Sunday, June 10, 8 p.m.
- Game 7: (if necessary) Capitals at Golden Knights — Wednesday, June 13, 8 p.m.
The Caps are in the Stanley Cup Finals for only the second time in franchise history. They last reached the final round of the playoffs in 1998, when they got swept by the Detroit Red Wings.
The Golden Knights defeated the Capitals twice during the regular season.
Braden Holtby was excellent in Game 7 against the Lightning, making 29 saves for his second straight shutout of the series. Alexander Ovechkin opened the scoring just 1:02 into the first period, then Andre Burakovsky had two goals in the second period. Nicklas Backstrom scored the empty-netter.
Wednesday’s victory was a big moment for Ovechkin, as the 32-year-old Russian had never before advanced further than the second round of the playoffs.
The Lightning also played Game 7 in the 2015 Eastern Conference Final, when they routed the New York Rangers. Tampa Bay also played Game 7 of the semifinals in 2016, when they fell 2-1 to the Pittsburgh Penguins.