Melvin Gordon And Chargers Fail To Agree On Contract Extension, RB Will Skip Opening Days Of Training Camp
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport says that the Chargers will stop his contract talks entirely if he fails to show up to training camp. Gordon is set to make over $5.5 million this season in his final year of his rookie contract. He feels he’s earned a long-term deal and wants a secure fund. It’s unknown why the Chargers won’t extend his deal.
“I want to end up with the Chargers. That’s my home,” Gordon said, according to Pro Football Talk. “I’m not going to sit here and be like, ‘Man, I don’t want to go back to the Chargers, dah, dah, dah.’ Like that’s the team that blessed me with an opportunity. They started my life. They changed my life. Of all 32 teams, that was the team that called me. I can’t forget them for that.”
Melvin Gordon, seeking a new contract, informed the Chargers early this morning that he will not report to training camp when the rest of the team reports today, per source familiar with those talks.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) July 24, 2019
Gordon remains one of the more promising and efficient running backs in the league after racking up over 5,000 total yards in his four seasons with the Chargers. Gordon had 10 rushing and four receiving touchdowns last season.
“But it’s an opportunity right now where I know I need to take advantage of it. You know, I want to get paid,” Gordon said, according to Pro Football Talk. “That’s just kind of what it is. Hopefully I end up a Charger. That’s the goal. I want to end up with the Chargers.”
The Chargers could be without the two-time Pro Bowler when the upcoming season starts, but have backup options in case this comes to pass. Austin Ekeler obtained almost 1,000 yards last season from being Gordon’s backup. Justin Jackson is also an option, as he was a rookie last season and racked up 341 yards. The Chargers will be looking to build off their 12-4 season from last year and to make a run to the Super Bowl behind Philip Rivers.