Carlos Beltran Steps Down As Mets Manager Following Sign Stealing Investigation
Carlos Beltran will not coach a game for the New York Mets this season after MLB’s investigation into the Houston Astro’s sign stealing allegations implicated the former nine-time All Star as an integral part of the scheme. He is the third manager to lose his job this week after being mentioned by name in commissioner Rob Manfred’s statement. AJ Hinch was fired by the Astro’s and suspended for one year by the MLB Monday and Alex Cora was fired by the Red Sox Tuesday.
“We met with Carlos last night and again this morning and agreed to mutually part ways,” Mets owner Jeff Wilpon and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said in a statement. “Considering the circumstances, it became clear to all parties that it was not in anyone’s best interest for Carlos to move forward as Manager of the New York Mets.”
Beltran said in a statement, “At a meeting this morning with Jeff [Wilpon] and Brodie [Van Wagenen] we mutually agreed to part ways. I’m grateful to them for giving me the opportunity, but we agreed this decision is in the best interest of the team. I wish the entire organization success in the future.”
Beltran had served as a special adviser to Yankees’ general manager Brian Cashman in 2019 before taking the Mets’ job. He had been hired in November two weeks before The Athletic’s report of sign stealing allegations was released and was the only player on the roster mentioned.
In another statement obtained by MLB media members, Beltran claimed, “Over my 20 years in the game, I’ve always taken pride in being a leader and doing things the right way, and in this situation, I failed. As a veteran player on the team, I should’ve recognized the severity of the issue and truly regret the actions that were taken. I am a man of faith and integrity and what took place did not demonstrate those characteristics that are so very important to me and my family. I am very sorry. It’s not who I am as a father, a husband, a teammate and as an educator. The Mets organization and I mutually agreed to part ways, moving forward for the greater good with no further distractions. I hope that at some point in time, I’ll have the opportunity to return to this game that I love so much.”
There are high expectations for the Mets following a season that saw rookie Pete Alonso hit .260 with 53 home runs and 120 RBIs, as well as a consecutive Cy Young Award for Jacob DeGrom. The organization also made acquisitions to bolster its pitching staff that included Michael Wacha, Rick Porcello and Dellin Betances. Now, New York must scramble to find a replacement with less than a month before spring training starts.