Jake Ehlinger, 20
On Thursday, the family of the late Jake Ehlinger released a statement saying that the former Texas football player died in May due to an accidental overdose of what is believed to have been Xanax laced with Fentanyl.
The Austin police said they responded to a call at 12:18 p.m. May 6 and found Ehlinger in the 1200 block of West 22nd Street.
The Westlake graduate was only 20.
“Today we are sad to share that we have learned that Jake was a victim of an accidental overdose of what was believed to be Xanax laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl,” the Ehlinger family statement said. “The spread of counterfeit pills is an ongoing and significant issue throughout our country, particularly in schools, colleges, and universities.”