Cain Velasquez will again go before a judge for a bail hearing, after Santa Clara County court Judge Jose Franco granted him another one on May 16.

He was previously denied bail during his March 7 arraignment.

The former UFC heavyweight champ was arrested in February after he allegedly engaged in an 11-mile high-speed chase while firing multiple rounds of a handgun at Harry Goularte’s car; Goularte is accused of molesting a one of Velasquez’s family members.

Goularte’s stepfather was ultimately hit with a stray bullet and taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Velasquez was later arrested without incident and charged with multiple felonies.

“It is clear to this court that there is clear and convincing evidence that there is a substantial likelihood that release would result in great bodily injury, not just to the named complaining witnesses in this case but to Santa Clara residents at large,” Judge Shelyna Brown, of the initial hearing, said. “This case involves allegations of extreme recklessness to human life.

“Ramming a vehicle in the middle of the day where our citizens are out driving, going about their business and shooting out of a car at other individuals, which is reckless by any standard. Anyone could have been injured. Anyone could have been killed and when this court looks at article 1, section 12, it is this level of risk that the court must take into consideration. With that said, this court is making the ruling that the risk is too great and that there will be no bail set at this time.”

With regards to his criminal issues, Velasquez had his plea hearing pushed back via continuance until June 10.

Read more about:
Chat With uSports On Facebook! Get latest news and interviews delivered directly to your Messenger!