Detroit Tiger’s Relief Pitcher Tyler Alexander Ties Record With 9 Consecutive Strikeouts
In Game 1 of the Detroit Tigers series against the Reds, relief pitcher Tyler Alexander took the mound and struck out all nine batters that he faced. This ties the AL record and is one short of Tom Seaver’s all-time record of 10,
Tyler Alexander faced nine batters.
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) August 2, 2020
For reference here is the entire list of pitchers to retire nine straight batters:
- Tom Seaver, Mets vs. Padres: April 22, 1970 (10 straight)
- Ricky Nolasco, Marlins vs. Braves: Sept. 30, 2009 (9 straight)
- Aaron Harang, Dodgers vs. Padres: April 13, 2012 (9 straight)
- Doug Fister, Tigers vs. Royals: Sept. 27, 2012 (9 straight)
- Tyler Alexander, Tigers vs. Reds: Aug. 2, 2020 (9 straight)
Alexander failed to make it to 10 when he hit Mike Moustakas with a pitch, but the twenty-six year-old lefty who is not necessarily known for his strikeouts will have his name indelibly etched in the record books for this performance.