News

“David Ortiz’s Shooter Was Offered $7.8K,” Chief Prosecutor Jean Alain Rodriguez Says

The story behind the man who shot David Ortiz last week in the Dominican Republic has taken another twist and turn.

Six suspects, including the gunman, have been detained, the Dominican Republic’s chief prosecutor said in a statement delivered on Wednesday.

“At this moment, they are being interrogated, and we will continue deepening the investigation to get to the truth about what happened,” chief prosecutor Jean Alain Rodriguez said.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“Nobody involved in this lamentable episode will remain in impunity, not even the material or intellectual author” of the crime, he said.

“In one of the videos, it was possible to observe both the accused and the shooter planning the commission of the incident right on Octavio Mejia Ricart Street, which is parallel to the place where the event took place,” the prosecutors said.

SPORTS FIGURES WHO DIED IN 2019 – TRIBUTE SLIDESHOW

The alleged gunman, identified as Rolfy Ferreya, or Sandy, is in custody, according to the police. Also in police custody is a man who Police Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte claims is the alleged coordinator of Ortiz’s shooting. According to Almonte, the alleged coordinator of the attack on Ortiz was offered 400,000 Dominican Pesos, or $7,800 USD, to carry out the shooting.

Among the other suspects still at large are Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, aka The Surgeon, as well as a woman known as The Venezuelan, or Red, and two other men, prosecutors said in a statement.

Earlier this week, following the shooting, David Ortiz was transported via helicopter from a hospital in the Dominican Republic to Massachusetts General Hospital, courtesy of the Boston Red Sox. According to Ortiz’s wife, since being transported to Mass. General, Oritz has been able to sit up and take some steps as Oritz continues to recuperate and recover.

“His condition is guarded, and he will remain in the ICU for the coming days, but he is making good progress toward recovery,” Tiffany Ortiz said in the statement.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Jason Hirsch

Quinnipiac University Class of 2020. Aspiring sports writer. Passionate Indianapolis Colts fan.

Recent Posts

Gianluca Prestianni Denies Use Of ‘Racially Insulting’ Language About Vinicius Junior At UEFA Champions League Match

Gianluca Prestianni denies using racially insulting language towards Vinicius Junior.  Prestianni and Benfica took on…

15 hours ago

Mikaela Shiffrin Wins First Olympic Medal Since 2018 At Age 30

Mikaela Shiffrin of the United States has won the gold medal in the slalom event.…

15 hours ago

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: Team USA Hockey Star Brad Tkachuk On Hearing From President Trump Before Olympics

https://youtube.com/shorts/W4g4gX75PBU?feature=share Team USA hockey star Brad Tkachuk spoke about hearing support from President Donald Trump…

15 hours ago

Chiefs Restructure Patrick Mahomes’ Contract: Still Have To Deal With Tough Cap Space Situation

The Kansas City Chiefs have restructured Patrick Mahomes' contract.  Part of Mahomes’s contract has been…

16 hours ago

Kyrie Irving Will Miss Rest Of Season Recovering From Torn ACL

The Dallas Mavericks have announced that Kyrie Irving will miss the rest of the season…

16 hours ago

Ronda Rousey Returning To MMA To Fight Gina Carano

The former UFC bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey, is returning to mixed martial arts after a…

2 days ago