Brooklyn Nets’ GM Says Four Players Previously Diagnosed With Coronavirus Have Recovered
After four Brooklyn Nets’ players tested positive for the coronavirus (COVD-19) 15 days ago, general manager Sean Marks said Wednesday that they have fully recovered and are medically cleared. Marks spoke to the media during a conference call on Wednesday morning referencing the team’s two week quarantine and his plan to adhere to social distancing rules.
“As it pertains to the team,” Marks said, “I sense – like all of us, like the rest of New York and really the rest of the globe – we’re trying to deal with this as best we can.”
Of the four players diagnosed, only Kevin Durant’s name was publicly acknowledged and three of the players were asymptomatic, Nets’ management told ESPN. Marks was also asked about the prospect of Durant and Kyrie Irving returning this season because of the current postponement.
“I couldn’t give an answer on when they’ll play this season,” Marks said. “I don’t think it’s fair to those athletes nor the performance team to put a timeline on it. I think everyone is dealing with bigger, far more pressing things.”
In regard to the NBA resuming operations, Nets’ guard and vice president of the players union told The Athletic that players will most likely be required to test for the virus multiple times before anyone in the league steps back onto the court.
The NBA season was suspended on March 11 to counteract the spread of COVID-19 and the league hopes to return in mid June or July.