Categories: NewsZ-Home Slider

WBO Strips Floyd Mayweather Of Welterweight Title

Floyd Mayweather has officially been stripped of his WBO welterweight belt, as he has failed to comply with Friday’s deadline to pay $200,000 and vacate his other two junior middleweight belts. Now, he received the WBO title by defeating Manny Pacquiao on May 2, but it is against the rules to hold belts in different weight classes, as boxers usually later decide which class to stay in.

Therefore, the WBC and WBA were technically breaking their own rules by allowing Mayweather to hold onto their belts. Now, the WBO was not as willing as they set last week’s deadline to force Mayweather’s decision. Instead, he seemed to ignore the date, leaving the organization no choice but strip him of the title on Monday.

WBO Strips Title From Mayweather

“The WBO world championship committee is allowed no other alternative but to cease to recognize Mr. Floyd Mayweather Jr. as the WBO welterweight champion of the world and vacate his title for failing to comply with out WBO regulations of world championship contests,” the WBO stated in a press release.

Originally, Mayweather talked about vacating all of his titles, to give other fighters a chance. But weeks after the fight, no decision was made. Therefore, the WBO made June 27’s bout between Timothy Bradley Jr. and Jessie Vargas for the welterweight belt. A decision that Mayweather objected to, resulting in the fight being for the interim belt. Mayweather was then given last Friday’s deadline to regain the title, yet did nothing.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“[The decision] is a complete disgrace,” Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather Promotions CEO, told ESPN. “Floyd will decide what, or if any, actions he will take… he will not be dictated by any organization or person as it relates to his decision making.” He now has 14 days to appeal WBO’s decision.

Floyd Mayweather next plans to fight on September 12, which will be the final bout in his massive six-fight deal with Showtime and CBS. After, he allegedly plans to retire.

Anthony Falco

Recent Posts

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

3 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

3 days ago

Packers’ Coach Matt LaFleur Has Trust In QB Jordan Love To Change Playcalls

Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has expressed his full trust in Jordan Love's ability to…

3 days ago

Lack Of Foul Call In Pistons’ Game 5 Loss To Cleveland Cavaliers Sparks Controversy

A controversial no-foul call in the closing seconds overshadowed the Detroit Pistons' Game 5 matchup…

3 days ago

Crissy Froyd Speaks Out After Being Fired From ‘USA Today’ After Trashing Dianna Russini Over Mike Vrabel Scandal

Crissy Froyd, NFL Reporter for USA Today, was fired last month after comments about Dianna Russini and…

4 days ago

Keldon Johnson Back In Form After Magnificent Playoff Performance

Keldon Johnson was at what may have felt like him gelling into his role as…

4 days ago