Categories: NewsZ-Home Slider

De’Andre Johnson Released By Florida State

De’Andre Johnson has officially been dismissed by FSU.

The athlete, who was called Florida’s “Mr. Football,” was originally suspended after being charged with misdemeanor battery for allegedly striking a female during a June 24 bar incident. But now, a video, originally released by Tallahassee Democrat, displayed the graphic incident.

On the surveillance tape, Johnson attempted to make his way to the counter at a crowded bar. As a result, he pushed his way past the 21-year-old female victim. This resulted in a confrontation, where she balled her fist, causing De’Andre to grab it. This only escalated the situation, as she raised her knee and threw a punch. Johnson immediately retaliated and connected with a right hand.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

The punch left her bleeding, as she suffered a cut beneath her nose, bruising to her left eye and some swelling on her face, according to ESPN’s copy of the police report.

He later surrendered to police on June 30 and was released on bail.

De’Andre Johnson Released

After the video’s release, FSU decided to dismiss the freshman. FSU officials and the coaching staff claimed to have not seen the video until it was released on the Tallahassee Democrat website, according to ESPN.

As for Johnson, he hired famous defense attorney Jose Baez, who released a statement.

“While it is clear from the video that De’Andre Johnson was not the initial aggressor, his family wants to take the lead in helping him learn and grow from this experience,” Baez told Noles247. “He is currently participating in community service and faith-based programs focused on battered women, substance abuse and the empowerment of children. De’Andre is extremely embarrassed by this situation and would like to express his heartfelt apologies to everyone, including those who were directly affected: Coach Fisher and his teammates, the entire Florida State University community, as well as his family and friends.”

And while Johnson’s family knows that the former FSU QB was in the wrong, they believe the victim should have been charged too: she swung first in the video and allegedly stated, “Get off me you f**king n***er,” according to TMZ Sports report. Now, it is unclear whether the latter was true because the video does not have sound, but State Attorney Willie Meggs shot down the possibility of charging the female victim.

De’Andre Johnson was a highly sought out high school athlete, passing for 3,710 yards and rushing for 398 yards with 56 total touchdowns while playing for First Coast High in 2014.

Anthony Falco

Recent Posts

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

3 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

3 days ago

Packers’ Coach Matt LaFleur Has Trust In QB Jordan Love To Change Playcalls

Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has expressed his full trust in Jordan Love's ability to…

3 days ago

Lack Of Foul Call In Pistons’ Game 5 Loss To Cleveland Cavaliers Sparks Controversy

A controversial no-foul call in the closing seconds overshadowed the Detroit Pistons' Game 5 matchup…

3 days ago

Crissy Froyd Speaks Out After Being Fired From ‘USA Today’ After Trashing Dianna Russini Over Mike Vrabel Scandal

Crissy Froyd, NFL Reporter for USA Today, was fired last month after comments about Dianna Russini and…

4 days ago

Keldon Johnson Back In Form After Magnificent Playoff Performance

Keldon Johnson was at what may have felt like him gelling into his role as…

4 days ago