News

Tyler Austin, Joe Kelly Suspended After Yankees-Red Sox Fight; Both Players To Appeal Multi-Game Bans

The Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees got into a massive, benches-clearing fight on Wednesday, and one player on each team has received suspensions for the incident.

Joe Kelly, Tyler Austin suspensions for Red Sox-Yankee Brawl

Yankees first baseman Tyler Austin was banned for five games and Red Sox pitcher Joe Kelly was suspended six contests for brawling in the seventh inning of New York’s 10-7 victory at Fenway Park.

SLIDESHOW: 30 Best Sports Instagrams!

Austin’s punishment was for “charging the mound and fighting,” while Kelly’s ban was for “intentionally hitting Austin with a pitch and fighting.” Joe Torre, MLB’s chief baseball officer, dealt the suspensions.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Both players will try to appeal their bans, according to the Boston Herald. 

The league also reportedly fined New York’s third base coach Phil Nevin and Red Sox manager Alex CoraYankees manager Aaron Boone denounced Nevin’s actions, which included yelling at the opposing team’s dugout. Cora said he could not tell if Nevins was yelling at him or at someone else.

Kelly claimed that his 98-mph pitch that hit Austin was accidental, though some believe it may have been a way of retaliating for a rough slide the Bombers designated hitter made earlier in Wednesday’s game. The slide ended with Austin’s cleat spikes digging into Boston shortstop Brock Holt. 

“It’s a pitch that got away on a cold night,” Kelly told the Herald. “Not like I had perfect command. It’s not like I have Greg Maddux command. We’ll see what happens. I don’t think I should be suspended. It wasn’t a blowout game. We were still in that ballgame. We had a big rally the inning before.”

SLIDESHOW: 10 Highest-Paid Athletes

Five players also received fines for going onto the field to engage in the brawl despite being on the disabled list: CC Sabathia, Dustin Pedroia, Marco Hernandez and Xander Bogaerts. 

The Red Sox beat the Yankees 6-3 in Thursday’s three-game series finale at Fenway Park.

 

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

2 hours ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

3 hours ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

3 hours ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

1 day ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

1 day ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

1 day ago