News

Tokyo Olympic President Yoshiro Mori Says Olympics Won’t Be Delayed, Contradicts Comments By Board Member

The President of the Tokyo Olympic organization committee Yoshiro Mori confirmed Wednesday that the Olympic games will not be postponed, contradicting comments from another board member that called for a 1-2 year delay amid the vast spread of the Coronavirus.

Mori reportedly received an apology from Haruyuki Takahashi, the board member that first disputed the Olympic start date in a report by the Wall Street Journal. Mori hastily called a press conference Wednesday at committee headquarters to reiterate the committee’s stance on hosting the Olympics as planned starting July 24. “There is no plan now to change our plans,” Mori said as he spoke Japanese. “I have spoken to Mr. Takahashi and he has apologized. He certainly said an outlandish thing.”

Mori continued, “Our basic stance is to proceed with our preparation and to hold a safe Olympics.” He reitarated that Takahashi’s recommendation was his own opinion and not representative of the committee’s judgment.

The Coronvirus can be most contagious in large crowds and the International Olympic Committee has the right to force cancellation without breaking contract terms with Tokyo, according to ESPN. Their biggest hindrance in rescheduling the games are the events slated for 2022, including the Beijing Winter Olympics and the World Cup in Qatar, which creates a crammed sports schedule.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Aside from that issue, the committee has built over 3,000 apartments to house a combined 15,400 Olympic and Paralympic athletes throughout the event. NBC’s coverage of the games is also at stake after the network bid $1 billion for broadcasting rights. Combing that with sponsorship deals, the money generated for the IOC equals 91% their income/

Senior IOC member Dick Pound told the Associated Press last month that the Olympic committee had until the end of May to initiate a cancelation. He later added that postponement was a possibility. The IOC’s full statement regarding their position on March 3 is below:


 

 

 

 

 

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Frank DeLorenzo

Recent Posts

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic Hockey Star Hillary Knight Reveals The Life Lessons She Learned

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MsX2K1XJs08 U.S. Olympic hockey star Hillary Knight revealed the life lessons she learned on her…

10 hours ago

Patriots First-Round Pick Will Campbell Says He Played With A Torn Ligament In His Knee: ‘It Sucks For Me’

It was a Super Bowl to forget for New England Patriots left tackle Will Campbell,…

10 hours ago

Browns’ Tight End David Njoku Departs – Where Could He Land?

Pro Bowl tight end David Njoku will not be returning to the Cleveland Browns as…

10 hours ago

NBA Suspends Four Players For Fight In Pistons-Hornets Game

The NBA has announced suspensions for the players involved in the Feb. 9 fight in…

10 hours ago

WNBA Star Rickea Jackson Willing To Testify in Domestic Violence Case Against Ex-Boyfriend, Falcons’ James Pearce Jr.

WNBA star Rickea Jackson’s attorneys have filed a court notice informing Miami-Dade County that she…

10 hours ago

Manchester United Co-Owner Jim Ratcliffe Apologizes For Saying ‘U.K. Is Colonized By Immigrants,’ But Not All Fans Are Satisfied

Manchester United released a public statement after their co-owner Jim Ratcliffe said that the United…

10 hours ago