News

Redskins Draw Ire For Claiming Reuben Foster Off Waivers After Release By 49ers

On Tuesday, the Washington Redskins announced their decision to claim former San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster off waivers.

Foster Picked Up By Redskins After Domestic Violence Incident

The announcement comes just two days after Foster was released by the 49ers following a weekend arrest on a domestic violence charge.

Foster was arrested at the team hotel in Tampa on Saturday night, and the 49ers released him the next day.

Tampa police said a 28-year-old female victim, later reported to be his girlfriend, had reported that Foster “slapped her phone out of her hand, pushed her in the chest area and slapped her with an open hand on the left side of her face.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Redskins President Bruce Allen spearheaded the decision to claim him, while Washington’s front office was far from unanimous about the idea.

The Redskins did not comment beyond releasing a statement from Senior Vice President of Player Personnel Doug Williams that said Washington will conduct its own investigation of Foster and take time to study the allegations.

“The Redskins fully understand the severity of the recent allegations made against Reuben,” Williams said in the statement. “If true, you can be sure these allegations are nothing our organization would ever condone.”

It was the third time this year that Foster had been charged with a crime. He was arrested in January in Alabama for marijuana possession; the charges were later dropped because he was considered a first-time offender.

30 SPORTS FIGURES WHO DIED IN 2018 – TRIBUTE SLIDESHOW

In April, he was charged with felonies for domestic violence, making criminal threats and assault weapon possession after his girlfriend said he struck her in February. In May, Foster’s girlfriend recanted the allegation, and the domestic violence charge was dropped.

In June, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor possession of an assault weapon and was given two years of probation, a 50-day work sentence and a $235 fine.

The NFL suspended Foster for the first two games this season for violating the league’s conduct and substance abuse policies. He also was sent home from the NFL Scouting Combine in 2017 after an argument with a worker at an Indianapolis hospital.

Dewayne Goforth

Recent Posts

Proposal To Ban Controversial ‘Tush Push’ Put On Hold After A Split Vote

The "Tush Push," which has been one of the most highly debated plays in football…

4 hours ago

Carmelo Anthony Elected Into The Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame Class Of 2025

Carmelo Anthony, a ten-time NBA All-Star, has been elected into the Naismith Basketball Hall of…

5 hours ago

Grizzlies’ Ja Morant, Who Was Suspended For Posing With Guns, Makes Finger Guns Gesture Toward Golden State Warriors Bench

The Memphis Grizzlies lost their fourth straight game on Tuesday night, falling to the Golden…

1 day ago

Kevin Durant Set To Miss Critical Week(s) For Suns With Ankle Sprain

Phoenix Suns superstar Kevin Durant exited Sunday's game against the Houston Rockets with a left…

1 day ago

Micah Parsons Set To Become Highest-Paid Non-QB, Waiting on Agent Approval

The Dallas Cowboys have offered Micah Parsons a contract that would make him the highest-paid…

1 day ago

49ers Owner Says Offseason Decisions To Say Goodbye 17 Players Are Tied To Major Brock Purdy Deal

After deciding to say goodbye to 17 players in the offseason through free agency, trade…

2 days ago