News

Panthers LB Luke Kuechly: No Plans To Retire After Second Concussion

Despite suffering his second concussion in the last two years, Luke Kuechly says he is not yet done with football.

Panthers LB Luke Kuechly: No Plans To Retire After Second Concussion

The Carolina Panthers All-Pro middle linebacker stated Wednesday he has no plans to retire from the NFL just yet.

Kuechly, 25, has missed seven games in the past two years with concussions, including the last four this season.

He added that although he appreciates the overwhelming concern of his family and his friends around the league, “I’m holding off that retirement word for probably a little ways down the road. … Whenever my opportunity comes back, I will be back out there.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Kuechly’s teammate, quarterback Cam Newton, expressed some fear earlier this season after his concussion. The linebacker, however, defiantly stated he is not worried about the long-term effects of concussions, which have been linked to Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) in football players.

“I’m not worried about (CTE) and I think there is a lot to be learned from it,” Kuechly said.

Kuechly was cleared by independent physicians to play Monday night against the Washington Redskins, although head coach Ron Rivera erred on the side of caution and kept him out for at least one more week.

Rivera hasn’t decided if Kuechly will play against Atlanta on Saturday, or at all for the rest of this season.

“He wants to play, but I have told him that I have a lot of things to weigh,” Rivera said.

The Panthers (6-8) will likely miss the playoffs this year.

Kuechly has four years remaining on a six-year, $62 million contract he signed in 2015.

The team’s first-round pick out of Boston College in 2012, Kuechly was injured on Nov. 17 after a collision with New Orleans Saints running back Tim Hightower.

The linebacker hasn’t played since sustaining the concussion, although he continues to practice every day.

Kuechly, praised by defensive coordinator Sean McDermott for his high football IQ, has spent the last four games on the Carolina sidelines holding a clipboard and playing the role of assistant coach.

“The great thing that he has done best is he has stayed involved in everything that we do,” safety Kurt Coleman said. “He’s the ultimate teammate. Whether he’s playing or not playing, he’s so focused on the details and he’s helping everyone around him whether he’s on the field or not. He’s not letting the situation take away from the team.”

CHARLOTTE, NC – NOVEMBER 17: Luke Kuechly #59 of the Carolina Panthers returns a blocked field goal against the New Orleans Saints in the second quarter during the game at Bank of America Stadium on November 17, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

11 hours ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

11 hours ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

11 hours ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

2 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

2 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

2 days ago