News

L.A. Clippers Under Investigation For Reported Kawhi Leonard ‘No-Show Job’ Deal

The Los Angeles Clippers are under investigating after accusations of circumventing NBA salary cap restrictions with forward Kawhi Leonard.

Speaking on the Pablo Torre Finds Out podcast, investigative journalist Pablo Torre reported that the team funded Leonard’s contract through the now-bankrupt company Aspiration. This was meant to navigate around the NBA’s salary cap, according to an unnamed Aspiration former employee.

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer made a $50 million investment into Aspiration in September 2021. Nearly two weeks later, the team secured a $300 million partnership with the company.

The Clippers released a statement regarding the accusations.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“Neither the Clippers nor Steve Ballmer circumvented the salary cap,” the team said. “The notion that Steve invested in Aspiration in order to funnel money to Kawhi Leonard is absurd.”

The statement later said Ballmer made the initial investment as he saw the company in a good light which also protected the environment, and that the team will welcome the impending investigation.

In April 2022, Leonard completed a four-year, $28 million endorsement partnership with the company. This came during the same season where the star forward signed a four-year, $176.3 million deal with the Clippers. According to Torre, despite signing the endorsement, Leonard did not make any public appearances for Aspiration.

“Neither Steve nor the Clippers organization had any oversight of Kawhi’s independent endorsement agreement with Aspiration,” the Clippers said. “To say otherwise is flat-out wrong.”

Aspiration is currently under investigation for fraud after filing for bankruptcy in March 2025. Five months later, company co-founder Joe Sanberg pled guilty on two counts of wire fraud.

A similar case of circumventing league salary cap occurred before the 2000-01 season. Then-league commissioner David Stern handed the Minnesota Timberwolves a hefty punishment after they were found trying to circumvent the salary cap for No. 1 overall draft pick Joe Smith.

The Timberwolves were fined $3.5 million, handed a one-year suspension for owner Glen Taylor and front office executive Kevin McHale, and terminated Smith’s contracts. Stern also revoked the team’s five upcoming first-round picks.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Jake Iovine

Recent Posts

US Olympic Figure Skater Alysa Liu Captures Gold After Leaving Sport

U.S. Olympic figure skater Alysa Liu has climbed the mountain top and won the gold…

10 hours ago

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic Gold Medalist Skier Alex Ferreira On Life Habits That Helped Him Win Gold

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/fo5ejg7LRKw U.S. Olympic skier Alex Ferreira spoke exclusively to uSports about the habits that made…

10 hours ago

Tyreek Hill Taunted By Cop Who Pinned Him Down During Traffic Stop: ‘Entitled A——!’

Earlier this week, the Miami Dolphins announced they released veteran wide receiver Tyreek Hill after…

11 hours ago

Adam Silver Planning To Add Anti-Tanking Rules Next Season

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced on Thursday that the league intends to add an anti-tanking…

11 hours ago

Jaylen Brown Contemplating Legal Action Against City Of Beverly Hills After His $800K Party Is Shut Down By Police

Boston Celtics All-Star forward Jaylen Brown had his private event, which he was hosting for…

12 hours ago

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: U.S. Olympic Speed Skater Britney Bowe On The Importance Of Routines In Her Success

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/EhqjCbJuSiA U.S. Olympic speed skater Britney Bowe discussed the importance of her routine with uSports…

1 day ago