Caption:TAMPA, FL - NOVEMBER 15: Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones talks with fans during a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium on November 15, 2015 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones again came to the defense of his suspended running back Ezekiel Elliott on Tuesday, saying that there is “no evidence” in the case against him.
“Unfortunately you get confused in this conversation,” Jones said while speaking with the hosts of 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “Every person that has any sense at all understands domestic violence and abhors it.”
Jones then expanded on his experience with the matter. “For 10 years before I bought the Cowboys I was the head of [a] battered women [organization] of Arkansas. I raised more money and been in more safe houses than a lot of people that talk about it, and so it’s a terrible problem.”
But then the influential owner came to his star’s defense. “On the other hand with what we are today and what we’re trying to be relative to addressing in the league, has all kinds of issues – and it should. It’s a very complicated issue because you have no evidence here.”
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.
“That’s all I want to say about it. But it creates quite a convoluted approach by Zeke’s representatives and by the league that I really hate is a focus of all of our attention. I do. Even though others would say that the issue needs this kind of focus and you’re using the NFL for visibility.
Elliott is currently facing a six-game suspension for violating the league’s personal-conduct policy after his ex-girlfriend Tiffany Thompson told police that the football player hit her while the two were parked in a car in July 2016.
The break-out star became a league sensation last year when he rushed for over 1,600 yards and 15 touchdowns during his rookie season.
Elliott and his representatives from the NFL Players Association have appealed the suspension. Their case, which began Tuesday and will wrap up Thursday, has been centered around the idea that the league change its procedure to determine the six-game suspension, according to ESPN.
Many expect Elliott’s suspension to be reduced, primarily because he was never formally charged by law enforcement.
Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…
A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…
Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…
Dodgers fans turned on Kyle Tucker at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, booing the outfielder after…
Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are stepping into the spotlight to discuss their romantic relationship…
The New York Giants made two notable roster moves on Tuesday, signing running back Najee…