Categories: NewsOpinion

Greg Hardy Denies Hitting Ex-Girlfriend In Interview

Greg Hardy’s contract with the Dallas Cowboys expired just last month. No team has signed the controversial free agent defensive end since then, which is why Hardy had time to sit down with ESPN’s Adam Schefter for an interview on Monday.

Greg Hardy Denies Hitting Ex-Girlfriend In ESPN Interview

During the interview, Hardy denied every having hit a woman, in response to Schefter’s question regarding a 2014 domestic violence incident in Charlotte, North Carolina, involving him and his former girlfriend, Nicole Holder. At the time of the incident, Hardy was a member of the Carolina Panthers.

“I’ve never put my hand on any women … in my whole entire life, no sir,” Hardy said Monday in Oxford, Miss., where he played collegiately for the University of Mississippi. “That’s just not how we’re raised. As you can tell, like I said again, it’s the Bible belt. It’s just something that’s, I wouldn’t even say frowned upon, just something that’s nonexistent in most southern homes.”

Schefter then followed up by asking Hardy about the pictures of Holder, in which she is shown severely bruised and battered, that surfaced on the website Deadspin last November in connection with the alleged assault.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Holder accused Hardy, 27, of throwing her against a bathroom wall, and then pushing her onto a bed covered with assault rifles and subsequently choking her and threatening to kill her during an altercation at his apartment.

“I will stop you there and say that I didn’t say that I didn’t do anything wrong,” he said. “That situation occurred and that situation was handled but … saying that I did nothing wrong is a stretch but saying I am innocent is correct. Yes sir.”

Hardy was convicted on charges of domestic violence, specifically assaulting a female and communicating threats, in 2014 in a bench trial by judge. He appealed, seeking a jury trial, but the case was thrown out in February 2015 when Holder stopped cooperating with authorities. Hardy filed a petition last year in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, to have his domestic violence charges expunged from his record.

After a portion of the interview aired on ESPN, Hardy was called out by former Panthers teammate Steve Smith Sr. on Twitter. The wide receiver, who now plays for the Baltimore Ravens, tweeted an excerpt of Hardy’s interview and called himself an advocate against domestic violence, adding that his mother is a survivor.

A six-year NFL veteran, Hardy has compiled 40 career sacks in 75 games and was tagged by the Panthers as their franchise player after the 2013 season, when he posted a career-best 15 sacks.

Hardy was suspended four games last season and missed all but one in 2014 with the Panthers.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

VIDEO EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic Hockey Star Hillary Knight Reveals The Life Lessons She Learned

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/MsX2K1XJs08 U.S. Olympic hockey star Hillary Knight revealed the life lessons she learned on her…

1 day ago

Patriots First-Round Pick Will Campbell Says He Played With A Torn Ligament In His Knee: ‘It Sucks For Me’

It was a Super Bowl to forget for New England Patriots left tackle Will Campbell,…

1 day ago

Browns’ Tight End David Njoku Departs – Where Could He Land?

Pro Bowl tight end David Njoku will not be returning to the Cleveland Browns as…

1 day ago

NBA Suspends Four Players For Fight In Pistons-Hornets Game

The NBA has announced suspensions for the players involved in the Feb. 9 fight in…

1 day ago

WNBA Star Rickea Jackson Willing To Testify in Domestic Violence Case Against Ex-Boyfriend, Falcons’ James Pearce Jr.

WNBA star Rickea Jackson’s attorneys have filed a court notice informing Miami-Dade County that she…

1 day ago

Manchester United Co-Owner Jim Ratcliffe Apologizes For Saying ‘U.K. Is Colonized By Immigrants,’ But Not All Fans Are Satisfied

Manchester United released a public statement after their co-owner Jim Ratcliffe said that the United…

1 day ago