News

“David Ortiz’s Shooter Was Offered $7.8K,” Chief Prosecutor Jean Alain Rodriguez Says

The story behind the man who shot David Ortiz last week in the Dominican Republic has taken another twist and turn.

Six suspects, including the gunman, have been detained, the Dominican Republic’s chief prosecutor said in a statement delivered on Wednesday.

“At this moment, they are being interrogated, and we will continue deepening the investigation to get to the truth about what happened,” chief prosecutor Jean Alain Rodriguez said.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“Nobody involved in this lamentable episode will remain in impunity, not even the material or intellectual author” of the crime, he said.

“In one of the videos, it was possible to observe both the accused and the shooter planning the commission of the incident right on Octavio Mejia Ricart Street, which is parallel to the place where the event took place,” the prosecutors said.

SPORTS FIGURES WHO DIED IN 2019 – TRIBUTE SLIDESHOW

The alleged gunman, identified as Rolfy Ferreya, or Sandy, is in custody, according to the police. Also in police custody is a man who Police Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte claims is the alleged coordinator of Ortiz’s shooting. According to Almonte, the alleged coordinator of the attack on Ortiz was offered 400,000 Dominican Pesos, or $7,800 USD, to carry out the shooting.

Among the other suspects still at large are Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, aka The Surgeon, as well as a woman known as The Venezuelan, or Red, and two other men, prosecutors said in a statement.

Earlier this week, following the shooting, David Ortiz was transported via helicopter from a hospital in the Dominican Republic to Massachusetts General Hospital, courtesy of the Boston Red Sox. According to Ortiz’s wife, since being transported to Mass. General, Oritz has been able to sit up and take some steps as Oritz continues to recuperate and recover.

“His condition is guarded, and he will remain in the ICU for the coming days, but he is making good progress toward recovery,” Tiffany Ortiz said in the statement.

Jason Hirsch

Quinnipiac University Class of 2020. Aspiring sports writer. Passionate Indianapolis Colts fan.

Recent Posts

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

2 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

2 days ago

Packers’ Coach Matt LaFleur Has Trust In QB Jordan Love To Change Playcalls

Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has expressed his full trust in Jordan Love's ability to…

2 days ago

Lack Of Foul Call In Pistons’ Game 5 Loss To Cleveland Cavaliers Sparks Controversy

A controversial no-foul call in the closing seconds overshadowed the Detroit Pistons' Game 5 matchup…

2 days ago

Crissy Froyd Speaks Out After Being Fired From ‘USA Today’ After Trashing Dianna Russini Over Mike Vrabel Scandal

Crissy Froyd, NFL Reporter for USA Today, was fired last month after comments about Dianna Russini and…

3 days ago

Keldon Johnson Back In Form After Magnificent Playoff Performance

Keldon Johnson was at what may have felt like him gelling into his role as…

3 days ago