News

Dallas Cowboys Decline $22.4 Million Fifth-Year Option For Trey Lance

The Dallas Cowboys declined to pick up a fifth-year option for quarterback Trey Lance, putting the former 49ers first-rounder’s future beyond the 2024 season in jeopardy. Though the Cowboys reportedly may still support Lance as a backup passer, they saved $22.4 million by declining the option to extend the player.

Drafted by San Francisco with the third overall pick in 2021, Lance spent most of his rookie season behind quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo but was named the 2022 starter in his second season. However, he played in just two games before suffering a season-ending ankle injury. Brock Purdy eventually replaced him and led the team to the NFC Championship and Super Bowl in his first two seasons.

With Purdy slowly taking complete control of the starting quarterback role, the 49ers traded Lance to the Cowboys during the 2023 season. Declining his fifth-year option now is merely a formality, as Dallas is firmly behind quarterback Dak Prescott. Owner Jerry Jones said last month that Lance was trending in the right direction, but there are no plans to prepare him for the starting role in the future.

Though Lance is a victim of poor luck, he is still a contributing member of a notoriously weak 2021 draft class of quarterbacks. Of the five quarterbacks taken in the first round that year, first-overall pick Trevor Lawrence is the only one still on the team he was drafted by. Lance, Zach WilsonJustin Fields and Mac Jones have all been traded away, showing small flashes of ability during their careers but never enough to earn sustained success.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Of that underperforming quintet, Lance is the only one who has yet to get an extended opportunity as a starting quarterback, as his only real chance in 2022 was cut extremely short by injury. If Prescott suffers a setback in the next year, Lance could get another chance if he can beat out veteran quarterback Cooper Rush for the backup position this offseason.

Like
Like Love Haha Wow Sad Angry
Patrick Moquin

Recent Posts

NBA Fines Jazz & Pacers For Tanking Games To Improve Draft Postion

On Thursday, the NBA came down hard on the Utah Jazz and Indiana Pacers for…

1 day ago

Phillies Cut Ties With Outfielder Nick Castellanos

The Philadelphia Phillies knew they were not going to enter the 2026 season with Nick…

1 day ago

Patriots’ Star Stefon Diggs Pleads Not Guilty To Strangling His Personal Chef In Pay Dispute Days After Super Bowl

On Friday, New England Patriots star wide receiver Stefon Diggs pleaded not guilty to felony…

1 day ago

Ice Dancer Madison Chock Says Judges Should Be ‘Vetted & Reviewed’ After France’s Controversial Win

After a controversial decision that left Team USA's Madison Chock and Evan Bates just 1.43…

2 days ago

Trump Pardons 5 Former NFL Players Including Nate Newton & Joe Klecko

President Donald Trump has pardoned ex-NFL players Nate Newton, Joe Klecko, Travis Henry, Jamal Lewis…

2 days ago

Kansas State Coach Jerome Tang Trashes Players After Blowout Loss: ‘These Dudes Do Not Deserve To Wear This Uniform’

Kansas State men’s basketball coach Jerome Tang called out his players in a postgame press…

3 days ago