• Home  /
  • News   / Daily Digest   /
  • Conor McGregor Mocks Floyd Mayweather On Instagram Ahead Of Possible Aug. 26 Fight
Conor McGregor Mocks Floyd Mayweather On Instagram Ahead Of Possible Aug. 26 Fight Conor McGregor Wins - LAS VEGAS, NV - DECEMBER 12: Conor McGregor celebrates after a first-round knockout victory over Jose Aldo in their featherweight title fight during UFC 194 on December 12, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images) Full view

LAS VEGAS, NV - DECEMBER 12: Conor McGregor celebrates after a first-round knockout victory over Jose Aldo in their featherweight title fight during UFC 194 on December 12, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images)

Conor McGregor Mocks Floyd Mayweather On Instagram Ahead Of Possible Aug. 26 Fight

UFC fighter Conor McGregor and retired boxer Floyd Mayweather are still exchanging taunts on social media ahead of their much-anticipated bout, which Mayweather’s side is hoping will take place on Aug. 26.

Conor McGregor Taunts Floyd Mayweather On Instagram

McGregor mocked the 40-year-old Mayweather for his age in Instagram and Twitter posts late Monday night and early Tuesday morning, photos that showed the undefeated champion back in training.

“Man, much respect to Floyd senior still getting a few rounds at the gym,” the 28-year-old Irishman wrote. “I hope I can still train at that age. Respect.”

Man, much respect to Floyd Senior still getting a few rounds in at the gym. I hope I can still train at that age. Respect.

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

McGregor then followed that post up with this photo of himself training, adding the caption: “Just tell us the ruleset.”

Just tell us the ruleset.

A post shared by Conor McGregor Official (@thenotoriousmma) on

The prospect of a boxing match between the two men has been brewing for more than a year, and could prove to be one of the highest-rated and highest-grossing events in sports combat history. In May 2016, McGregor created a mock poster imagining the bout, and late last year, the Irishman obtained his boxing license in the state of California.

ESPN.com’s Dan Rafael reported Monday that Mayweather Promotions is seeking to make a formal request with the Nevada State Athletic Commission to officially set the Aug. 26 date. However, Rafael added that the boxer’s side retracted the request, likely because it believed Mayweather wouldn’t be prepared to face McGregor that soon.

UFC President Dana White said during an interview on “Conan” in March that he strongly believes the fight between Mayweather and McGregor will happen, and reiterated that sentiment in a May 17 appearance on TNT during the network’s NBA playoffs coverage. During that second appearance, White also said McGregor’s team had finalized negotiations for the fight, and that the UFC was now simply waiting on Mayweather’s side to agree to the deal.

Furthermore, another problem remains for the matchup between the two fighters. Mayweather and McGregor will likely face off at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, and the BIG3 basketball Championship Finals are currently scheduled to be held there on Aug. 26. The fight could take place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena instead, although that is a much smaller venue, which means less ticket sales.

According to the current schedule at T-Mobile Arena, August 12 and 19 are currently open as well as September 9. Nevertheless, the UFC is already planning another event on Aug. 19.

Another big UFC fight between Gennady Golovkin and Saul Alvarez has been set for Sept. 16. White stated he had originally envisioned the same date for Mayweather-McGregor.

LAS VEGAS, NV – DECEMBER 12: Conor McGregor celebrates after a first-round knockout victory over Jose Aldo in their featherweight title fight during UFC 194 on December 12, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Steve Marcus/Getty Images)

Chat With uSports On Facebook! Get the latest news and interviews delivered directly to your Messenger!

Leave a comment

Written by Pablo Mena