Celtics’ Marcus Smart Fully Recovers From Coronavirus
Celtics’ guard Marcus Smart has fully recovered from coronavirus (COVID-19) after being diagnosed with the disease two weeks ago. Smart announced on Twitter Sunday that he had been cleared by the Massachusetts Department of Health.
Corona Free as of two days ago. Cleared by Mass Dept of Health.
Thanks for everyone’s thoughts and prayers and I’m doing the same for everyone that’s been effected by this. Stay safe and stay together- apart!
— marcus smart (@smart_MS3) March 30, 2020
Celtics’ coach Brad Stevens held a conference call last week and told the media Smart was doing “great” during his recovery.
“Great spirits. Joking as always,” Stevens said Friday. “We had a Zoom with the team, told the team we were going to give them their own space to hang out and have fun — and he told us to get off. So he’s great.”
Stevens later praised Smart for his public announcement Instagram video that revealed his diagnosis and warned others to take precautions.
“I’m proud of how he kind of took the initiative to tell people that he had it and that he felt good and that he got online and just continued to ask people to practice social distancing and self-isolation right now,” Stevens told ESPN. “It’s a really unique, unsettling time for everyone.”
The 26-year-old is a fan favorite in Boston and has a reputation of being a scrappy player who plays with intensity on both sides of the court. This season Smart is averaging 13.5 points (career-high) 3.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists per game. The Celtics are currently third in the Eastern Conference as they await the return of NBA basketball.