News

Borussia Dortmund Coach Thomas Tuchel On Rumors Of Him Replacing Arsene Wenger At Arsenal: ‘I Don’t Know Anything’

Borussia Dortmund head coach Thomas Tuchel has revealed he doesn’t know anything regarding the rumors that he is one of the top four candidates to replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.

Dortmund’s Thomas Tuchel In The Dark On Arsene Wenger Arsenal Replacement Rumors

The Daily Mirror reported Friday that Tuchel leads the four-man shortlist of candidates being targeted by Arsenal should Wenger indeed step down as manager this summer.

Wenger has repeatedly said he will make a ‘gut decision’ regarding his future with the English club. With his current £8m-a-year ($10 million) contract expiring at the end of this season, there is growing concern at Arsenal that the 67-year-old Frenchman– who has led the team since 1996– may soon leave.

“You know more than me,” Tuchel said when asked about the report at his news conference on Friday. “I can’t give you any information. I don’t know anything about this issue. I am happy here. It’s no issue.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

The other three candidates on the shortlist, according to the Mirror, are Juventus’ Max Allegri, Bayer Leverkusen coach Roger Schmidt and Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim. 

Tuchel took over at Dortmund from Jurgen Klopp in 2015 and the the 43-year-old German has impressed since then, having led the team to second place in the Bundesliga behind Bayern Munich in his first season in charge.

Dortmund is merely fourth in the standings this season, however, trailing Bayern by 12 points after 19 games, and questions have been raised about Tuchel’s future in recent months.

Wenger, meanwhile, is facing added pressure following Arsenal’s loss to Chelsea last Saturday, which also left the Gunners 12 points behind the Blues in fourth place in the Premier League.

MADRID, SPAIN – DECEMBER 07: Coach Thomas Tuchel of Borussia Dortmund protests to the referee during the UEFA Champions League group F match between Real Madrid CF and Borussia Dortmund at Estadio Santiago Bernabeu on December 7, 2016 in Madrid, . (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Kyle Tucker, With $240 Million Contract, Booed At Dodger Stadium As Slump Deepens

Dodgers fans turned on Kyle Tucker at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, booing the outfielder after…

7 hours ago

WNBA Stars Paige Bueckers & Azzi Fudd Are Finally Talking About Being A Couple, On Their Own Terms

Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are stepping into the spotlight to discuss their romantic relationship…

7 hours ago

Giants Sign Najee Harris, Release JuJu Smith-Schuster in Roster Shakeup

The New York Giants made two notable roster moves on Tuesday, signing running back Najee…

7 hours ago

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

2 days ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

2 days ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

2 days ago