News

Belgium Trolls Trump & FIFA With Dance & Post After Knocking USA Out of World Cup: ‘Overturn This!’

Belgium eliminated the United States from the World Cup on Monday night, then used the win to needle President Donald Trump and FIFA over the controversy that had overshadowed the match: a red-card reversal for American striker Folarin Balogun, which Trump admitted he had personally pushed for.

Belgium routed the co-host Americans 4-1 in Seattle. After the team’s fourth goal, several players gathered at the corner flag and performed what has become widely known as the “Trump dance” — a celebratory jig the president often performs at rallies — with Romelu Lukaku among those joining in. Belgium’s official team account on X piled on after the final whistle, posting a photo of the celebrating squad captioned simply “Overturn this,” a jab at FIFA’s decision to suspend Balogun’s automatic one-match ban days earlier, Yahoo Sports reported.

The dig traced back to Balogun’s red card in the U.S.’s round-of-32 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina, which FIFA unexpectedly reviewed and lifted just before the Belgium match — a break from the organization’s usual precedent. Trump acknowledged Monday that he’d called FIFA president Gianni Infantino to ask that the decision be reviewed, believing the red card had been unfair; Infantino confirmed the call took place but maintained the ruling was made independently of any presidential pressure. Belgium had unsuccessfully appealed the reversal beforehand and had called the move “astonishing.”

The episode has fueled broader criticism of FIFA’s leadership. UEFA said the governing body had crossed a “red line” and put the game’s integrity at risk, and Liberal Democrats leader Ed Davey was among those publicly calling for Infantino to resign — though Infantino, who has led FIFA for a decade, is considered all but certain to win reelection next year given his support across Asian, African and South American football confederations.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Belgium coach Rudi Garcia downplayed the drama afterward, saying Balogun had approached him after the game and praising the gesture, adding that the controversy wasn’t the striker’s fault. Balogun himself said he’d accepted both the original red card and the later decision to let him play. Belgium, unbeaten in 18 straight matches, advances to face Spain in the quarterfinals Friday in Los Angeles, while the loss ends the tournament for the last of the World Cup’s three host nations still in contention.

uSports Editors

Recent Posts

Joshua Báez Makes MLB History With 3 Home Runs In Cardinals Debut

St. Louis Cardinals rookie outfielder Joshua Báez etched his name into the MLB record books…

1 day ago

Falcon’s James Pearce Jr. Suspended 8 Games By NFL For Stalking Incident Involving Ex, WNBA Star Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons edge rusher James Pearce Jr. has been suspended for the first eight games…

2 days ago

Drew Allar & Will Howard Impress As Steelers Cruise Past Packers In Preseason Opener – Aaron Rodgers Doesn’t Play

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened their 2026 preseason with a convincing 28-9 victory over the Green…

2 days ago

Raiders Rookie Fernando Mendoza Impresses in Preseason Debut With 97 Yards & Touchdown

Las Vegas Raiders rookie quarterback Fernando Mendoza made an impressive first appearance in an NFL…

3 days ago

Freddie Freeman Injury Update: Dodgers Star Avoids Serious Injury After Scary Dugout Fall

Los Angeles Dodgers first baseman Freddie Freeman appears to have avoided a serious injury after…

3 days ago

Jayden Daniels Asks LSU To Return His Heisman Trophy Amid No. 5 Dispute

Former LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels has requested that the university return its copy of the…

3 days ago