Categories: Daily DigestNews

Reality TV-Style ‘Quarantine Basketball’ Tournament In The Works For Big3 League Amid Spread of COVID-19

The Big3 league is in the process of creating a reality-tv quarantine basketball tournament to give sports’ fans something to watch amid the cancellation and postponement of several professional sports’ leagues around the world. The tournament format will reportedly feature games of 3-on-3.

“We’ve been working on safety issues to make sure we can do this responsibly,” Big3 executive Jeff Kwatinetz told The Undefeated. “We’ve made a lot of headway since last week and are hoping to move this forward as people need sports and entertainment to get them through hard times.”

The preseason tournament will showcase 16-22 players that have tested negative for the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the concept would consist of seven rounds of games played in a large house with a basketball court. If any player leaves the quarantined house he will be eliminated from the tournament. Teams will be randomly selected after the first round of play has concluded and any player that records three losses will also be eliminated, sources say.

CORONAVIRUS FAQ: WIKI OF MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

As the tournament takes place, cameras will document life inside the house similar to a reality tv show. Individual players that finish first, second and third will receive cash prizes “totaling millions of dollars.”

“As long as we can protect the players, which we will do through proper testing and quarantine, Ice Cube and I feel we can give fans some safe, entertaining brand of basketball to get everyone through this pandemic,” Kwatinetz told Yahoo Sports. “Cube and I have been in the entertainment business for 30 years. This is our job. People want to be entertained with all we’re going through and enjoy our sports. We think this will help.”

Kwatinetz and Big3 owner Ice Cube are currently in discussions with a premier television network in order to broadcast the show. “It’s ‘Big Brother’ meets Big3,” Ice Cube told Spears. “If we can do it in a safe and responsible manner, we will.” Big3’s regular season opener is set for June 20.

 

Frank DeLorenzo

Recent Posts

Thunder’s Alex Caruso Goes Viral For Shoving Camera Away From Huddle During Tense Moment

We are witnessing a historic NBA playoff series. Basketball needed this—potential new rivals, the Oklahoma…

3 hours ago

Will Pep Guardiola Leave Man City As The GOAT?

Pep Guardiola is nearing the end of one of the most successful runs in soccer…

3 hours ago

PGA Championship Winner Aaron Rai Credits His Success To Wife Bishnoi – Who Frequently Beats Him

Aaron Rai has been one of golf's finest talents.Rai, who recently captured his first major…

15 hours ago

NFL Sends Jaxon Smith-Njigba Wrong Trophy: ‘It’s Getting Disrespectful At This Point’

Seattle Seahawks' star Jaxon Smith-Njigba has another reason to feel pissed off.JSN posted a video…

15 hours ago

Urban Meyer Loses His Bid For $30M Payday From Jaguars After Firing ‘For Cause’

Urban Meyer took another L in the NFL. It’s been four years, and the Jacksonville…

16 hours ago

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

2 days ago