News

Oregon State Dismisses Player Rocco Carley Following Release Of Racist Audio Comments

Oregon State University’s football program has dismissed redshirt freshman tight end Rocco Carley from the team. The announcement came in a statement Thursday morning by Oregon State head coach Jonathan Smith. The decision comes on the heels of an audio file coming to light from three years ago with Carley saying derogatory and hate-filled speech toward African-Americans, homosexuals and Muslims. 

In his statement, Smith said that he and athletic director Scott Barnes both deemed it necessary to dismiss Carley because of his comments. “I became aware of the comments made by Rocco Carley earlier this evening,” he said. “I immediately shared the audio with Scott Barnes. We both agreed this language and attitude is entirely unacceptable, regardless of circumstances or environment. I spoke with Rocco and dismissed him from the team. I will not tolerate racism or hate speech.”

Carley also issued a statement Thursday morning, apologizing for his actions. “To my family, my community, and everyone I have associated with, I am sorry. This does not condone anything of what I have said, but I promise to you all that this video does not represent me. I was doing an accent of a Southern man and giving a very satirical example of what we all thought would be funny. This in no way, shape or form makes what I said right. This is no way shape or form makes what I said right. I am truthfully sorry to everyone I have hurt and offended, and I understand that I have not represented me or my family in any positive way during this situation. To all of my brothers, teammates and everyone of color that I have associated with, I hope that you know me well enough to know I am in no way shape or form a racist. Again I apologize, and I could not be more ashamed of my actions.”

Carley never saw the field for Oregon State during his time with the team.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Tyler Melito

Recent Posts

Matthew Stafford Stays In L.A. With $55 Million, 1-Year Contract

Matthew Stafford is getting paid.The Los Angeles Rams officially agreed to a new contract extension…

1 day ago

Will Lebron James Take A Pay Cut To Help Build A Championship Team?

LeBron James, 41, remains the biggest topic of any NBA offseason storyline.Questions are swirling around…

1 day ago

Heated Fan Exchange Involving Rory McIlroy During the PGA Championship Spotlights Role Of Fans’ Behavior In Golf

Rory McIlroy found himself involved in a heated exchange with a fan during the final…

2 days ago

Eagles’ Star Nolan Smith Arrested For Driving 135 MPH, Mugshot Released

Philadelphia Eagles pass rusher Nolan Smith was arrested May 15 after allegedly driving 135 mph…

2 days ago

49ers’ George Kittle Shows Loyalty To His Oklahoma Roots In Thunder V. Spurs Series

George Kittle is one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history, but people often…

2 days ago

The Case For Alex Caruso: Why Thunder Needs Him Now

Alex Caruso had an insane performance in game one of the Western Conference finals versus…

2 days ago