EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - OCTOBER 05: Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul #90 of the New York Giants reacts after a play in the fourth quarter against the Atlanta Falcons during their game at MetLife Stadium on October 5, 2014 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
Jason Pierre-Paul played on a one-year, prove-it deal with the New York Giants this season, but after his surgery late in the campaign, he isn’t willing to do this again.
“I’m not playing on no one-year deal,” the defensive end said Monday, one day after the Giants’ season-ending 38-13 Wild Card loss to the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs. “I’ve proved it. I’ve showed it. There is not really another guy like me out here doing it with 7½ fingers still.”
Pierre-Paul, who finished with seven sacks in 12 games before undergoing core-muscle surgery, will be a free agent this offseason. He inked a one-year contract with the Giants last winter, following a 2015 season in which he missed the first half of the year after a July 4 weekend fireworks accident that left his right hand severely injured.
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.
Nevertheless, Pierre-Paul remains highly optimistic.
“My future is bright,” he said. “[I] Just turned 28 years old.”
Despite the defenseman’s decision, Giants general manager Jerry Reese wants Pierre-Paul, who turned 28 on Jan. 1, to remain with the team.
“Of course we want him back,” Reese said Monday. “He’s a good football player.”
When Pierre-Paul returned from his devastating hand injury for the final eight games of the 2015 season, he managed just one sack while playing with a club on his hand.
He was just finding his rhythm prior to the core-muscle injury, earning NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors while drawing consideration for the Comeback Player of the Year award.
“This is the new me,” Pierre-Paul said in late November. “I got to adjust to what I’m capable of doing with my hand. I feel this is as well as I’ve played since my new beginning last year. I’m like a rookie all over again.”
Giants coach Ben McAdoo also praised the defensive end.
“JPP is a tremendous player, great talent, can rush the quarterback,” coach Ben McAdoo said. “Anytime you can rush the quarterback or cover somebody on defense, you’re a valuable asset. And we’ll take a look at that and talk about that here shortly.”
Pierre-Paul was a first-round pick of the Giants out of South Florida in the 2010 NFL draft. He has 365 career tackles and 50 sacks.
The Giants have several decisions to make this offseason regarding their defense. Three other players besides Pierre-Paul are set to become free agents: defensive tackle Jonathan Hankins and linebackers Kelvin Sheppard and Keenan Robinson. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie also carries a hefty price tag ($9 million against the salary cap) for a third cornerback.
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ – OCTOBER 05: Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul #90 of the New York Giants reacts after a play in the fourth quarter against the Atlanta Falcons during their game at MetLife Stadium on October 5, 2014 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Elsa/Getty Images)
The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…
James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…
Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…
Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…
A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…
Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…