News

Fullback Kyle Juszczyk Is The Latest Casualty Of A 49ers Roster Purge – But Will It Pay Off?

The San Francisco 49ers made the Super Bowl last year, losing a heartbreaker in overtime. Deebo Samuel had touches, as did Kyle Juszczyk. On the defensive side of the ball, Charvarius Ward performed and Dre Greenlaw, as always, played the anchor.

Now, after a lackluster 2024 that saw the Niners finish at 6-11, each of those players are gone.

>GET THE LATEST SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS NEWS NOW!

Seven of San Francisco’s free agents left on Monday, with the beginning of free agency, including Lenoir and Ward. Juszczyk, a nine-time Pro Bowler who had just 24 touches this past season, was released.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

The release wasn’t a surprise. The team asked Juszczyk to take a pay cut last season, and general manager John Lynch was tight-lipped when asked at the NFL Combine about the fullback’s future in San Francisco.

“We’ll see,” Lynch said at the time. “We’re thinking of a lot of things right now. We’re trying to make everything work.”

With the inevitability of Brock Purdy no longer playing on a sub-million dollar contract, the 49ers ultimately decided to undertake a roster overhaul, letting veterans (and their cap hits) go while focusing on the Draft to maximize their championship opportunities.

“We have a lot of good players,” Lynch said. “One of the things that comes with a lot of good players is it’s hard to feed everyone. You’ve got to make tough decisions. We’re certainly at a point where we’ve had a five-year run with four NFC championships, two Super Bowls. You have to go back to the fundamentals of really building the thing. The lifeblood of your organization needs to be strong drafts.”

Releasing Juszczyk saves San Francisco $2.9 million against the cap in 2025. But if the organization doesn’t hit on its picks, as they’ve grown accustomed to doing, the situation in San Francisco could spiral out of hand and fast.

As far as Juszczyk goes? He’s going to keep playing somewhere that will take him.

“I want to win a ring,” Juszczyk said in January. “I want to win a ring here. But again, if I’m forced to do it somewhere else, I’ve still got so much football left in me. I still love the game so much. I’m still playing at a high level and I know there’s teams out there that can use me.”

Katherine Manz

Recent Posts

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

1 day ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

1 day ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

1 day ago

Joshua Báez Makes MLB History With 3 Home Runs In Cardinals Debut

St. Louis Cardinals rookie outfielder Joshua Báez etched his name into the MLB record books…

3 days ago

Falcon’s James Pearce Jr. Suspended 8 Games By NFL For Stalking Incident Involving Ex, WNBA Star Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons edge rusher James Pearce Jr. has been suspended for the first eight games…

4 days ago

Drew Allar & Will Howard Impress As Steelers Cruise Past Packers In Preseason Opener – Aaron Rodgers Doesn’t Play

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened their 2026 preseason with a convincing 28-9 victory over the Green…

4 days ago