Categories: NewsZ-Home Slider

Former Duke Player Rasheed Sulaimon Being Recruited By Maryland

Just a few months ago, Rasheed Sulaimon was the first player that Coach Mike Krzyzewski dismissed in his 35 years with Duke. At the time, he was released from the team for unspecified reasons.

“Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program,” Krzyzewski said in a press release. “After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program.”

Afterwards, a Chronicle report came out, claiming that Sulaimon was accused of sexual assault by two different women during Duke’s 2013-14 campaign. Though no charges were filed with the school or the police, the coaching staff were made aware of the situation; however, allegedly the school did not hold up their end of the bargain by investigating the allegations.

Since then, the controversy has died down — largely thanks to March Madness and Duke’s championship run. But the actual reason for his dismissal is still unknown. Yet Rasheed, in his first comment since the initial sexual assault report, professed his innocence

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“Me being dismissed from the team had nothing to do with this allegation,” Sulaimon told ESPN. “I have never sexually assaulted, not only anyone on the Duke campus, but anyone period. It’s not in my nature at all. I have great respect for the role of women in society. I would never demean or do anything to a woman in this manner. No, I’ve never done anything like this in my life.”

And because nothing came from the accusation, Maryland is now pursuing Sulaimon. This was later confirmed by ESPN’s Andy Katz.

In his three-year career with Duke he averaged 10 PPG, 2 APG and 2.7 RPG. But let’s not forget that at one time he was a five-star recruit with the possibility of being a first-round NBA draft pick. So it is understandable why schools are going after Sulaimon.

But Maryland is not the only one. “Maryland is among ten-to-15 schools recruiting former Duke guard,” according to reports. Yet it seems that Maryland is the current favorite and the most interesting team by far: especially since they are also an ACC team.

Sulaimon is scheduled to graduate in the summer, which will make him instantly eligible the following year. So, for now, everyone will just have to wait and see where he chooses.

Anthony Falco

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

2 days ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

2 days ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

2 days ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

3 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

3 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

3 days ago