Former Duke Player Rasheed Sulaimon Being Recruited By Maryland
Just a few months ago, Rasheed Sulaimon was the first player that Coach Mike Krzyzewski dismissed in his 35 years with Duke. At the time, he was released from the team for unspecified reasons.
“Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program,” Krzyzewski said in a press release. “After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program.”
Afterwards, a Chronicle report came out, claiming that Sulaimon was accused of sexual assault by two different women during Duke’s 2013-14 campaign. Though no charges were filed with the school or the police, the coaching staff were made aware of the situation; however, allegedly the school did not hold up their end of the bargain by investigating the allegations.
Since then, the controversy has died down — largely thanks to March Madness and Duke’s championship run. But the actual reason for his dismissal is still unknown. Yet Rasheed, in his first comment since the initial sexual assault report, professed his innocence
“Me being dismissed from the team had nothing to do with this allegation,” Sulaimon told ESPN. “I have never sexually assaulted, not only anyone on the Duke campus, but anyone period. It’s not in my nature at all. I have great respect for the role of women in society. I would never demean or do anything to a woman in this manner. No, I’ve never done anything like this in my life.”
And because nothing came from the accusation, Maryland is now pursuing Sulaimon. This was later confirmed by ESPN’s Andy Katz.
Can confirm earlier reports from a source that Maryland is one of the schools recruiting former Duke player Rasheed Sulaimon.
— Andy Katz (@ESPNAndyKatz) April 28, 2015
In his three-year career with Duke he averaged 10 PPG, 2 APG and 2.7 RPG. But let’s not forget that at one time he was a five-star recruit with the possibility of being a first-round NBA draft pick. So it is understandable why schools are going after Sulaimon.
But Maryland is not the only one. “Maryland is among ten-to-15 schools recruiting former Duke guard,” according to reports. Yet it seems that Maryland is the current favorite and the most interesting team by far: especially since they are also an ACC team.
Sulaimon is scheduled to graduate in the summer, which will make him instantly eligible the following year. So, for now, everyone will just have to wait and see where he chooses.