Z-Home Slider

Coco Gauff Pulls Out Of Tokyo Olympics After Testing Positive For COVID-19

United States tennis player Coco Gauff has tested positive for the coronavirus, forcing her to pull out of the Tokyo Olympics.

The 17 year-old was set to make her Olympic Games debut. She was going to be the youngest tennis player to participate in the Olympics since 2000. “I am so disappointed to share the news that I have tested positive for COVID and won’t be able to play in the Olympic Games in Tokyo,” Gauff tweeted on Sunday. “It has always been a dream of mine to represent the USA at the Olympics, and I hope there will be many more chances for me to make this come true in the future. I want to wish TEAM USA best of luck and a safe games for every Olympian and the entire Olympic family.”


“We were saddened to learn that Coco Gauff has tested positive for COVID-19 and will therefore be unable to participate in the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games,” the U.S. Tennis Association said in a statement. “We wish her the best as she deals with this unfortunate situation and hopes to see her back on the courts very soon. We know Coco will join all of us in rooting on the other Team USA members who will be traveling to Japan and competing in the coming days.”

Jennifer Brady, Jessica Pegula and Alison Riske will compete for the U.S. in women’s singles.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Gauff is one of the latest athletes to test positive ahead of the Tokyo Olympics. On Saturday, three South African soccer players tested positive at the Olympic Village, becoming the first positive case at the village. On Monday morning, U.S. women’s gymnastics alternate Kara Eaker also tested positive. The rising positive cases among Olympic athletes have brought on pressure and scrutiny to IOC president Thomas Bach, who has assured everyone that the Olympics are safe. Still, there are rumors floating around that Japanese officials are considering canceling despite the Games just being days away.

Allan Perez

Recent Posts

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

2 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

2 days ago

Packers’ Coach Matt LaFleur Has Trust In QB Jordan Love To Change Playcalls

Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has expressed his full trust in Jordan Love's ability to…

2 days ago

Lack Of Foul Call In Pistons’ Game 5 Loss To Cleveland Cavaliers Sparks Controversy

A controversial no-foul call in the closing seconds overshadowed the Detroit Pistons' Game 5 matchup…

2 days ago

Crissy Froyd Speaks Out After Being Fired From ‘USA Today’ After Trashing Dianna Russini Over Mike Vrabel Scandal

Crissy Froyd, NFL Reporter for USA Today, was fired last month after comments about Dianna Russini and…

3 days ago

Keldon Johnson Back In Form After Magnificent Playoff Performance

Keldon Johnson was at what may have felt like him gelling into his role as…

3 days ago