News

Cavaliers Owner Dan Gilbert Recovering From Stroke On Sunday

Cleveland Cavaliers owner and founder of Quicken Loans Dan Gilbert suffered from a stroke on Sunday.

According to ESPN, Quicken Loans CEO Jay Farner said that Gilbert is “awake, responsive and resting comfortably.”

“Dan and his family are immensely grateful to the doctors and nurses whose early intervention is already paying dividends toward his recovery, Farner said, according to ESPN.  “We will update the public as additional details become known.”

The Detroit billionaire was feeling ill and asked a friend to take him to a nearby Detroit hospital. The 57-year-old co-founded Quicken Loans in 1985, and later named the Cavaliers’ arena after his company when he purchased the team in 2005. Gibert’s net worth varies: according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, he has a net worth of $8.9 billion, while Forbes Magazine says Gilbert has a reported net worth of $7.3 billion.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Along with his work for the Cavaliers and Quicken Loans, Gilbert is involved with multiple projects for redevelopment around the Detroit area.

GET NHL STANLEY CUP FINALS TICKETS HERE!

Gilbert has been the owner of the Cavaliers for 15 years, winning one NBA title in 2016 under his tenure, despite making the finals five times with superstar LeBron James, beating the Golden State Warriors in the NBA Finals after the infamous 3-1 series lead.

The Cavaliers have two first-round picks for the upcoming 2019 NBA Draft. The team is currently rebuilding after trading James, and the signing of their new head coach, John Beilein, the former University of Michigan head coach, was announced earlier this month. Beilein became the fifth college coach to go straight from the NCAA to the NBA since 2010. Promise is being shown after a shaky rebuilding year, with Beilein having tons of tools at his disposal.

The team will be looking to bounce back this upcoming season after going 19-63 in the 2018 season following the loss of James to the Los Angeles Lakers. 

Tyler Pence

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

3 days ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

3 days ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

3 days ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

4 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

4 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

4 days ago