News

2020 NFL Draft Will Be Closed To The Public, Still Set To Proceed In April

Monday morning, the NFL announced that they will cancel all public events in Las Vegas for the NFL draft.

With the NFL trying to prevent any spread of the exponential growth of the coronavirus, also known as COVID-19, the league is closing down the NFL draft to the public. However, the draft will proceed as scheduled on April 23-25. The draft will be televised but the league is still “exploring innovative options for how the process will be conducted.” The NFL also announced last week that teams were prohibited from conducting pre-draft visits to team facilities due to the worldwide COVID-19 crisis.

SLIDESHOW: 50 GREAT SPORTS FIGURES WHO DIED IN 2019

The NFL said it took into consideration guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as officials from Nevada and the City of Las Vegas in making this announcement.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“This decision reflects our foremost priority – the health and safety of all fans and citizens,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday in a statement. “While this outcome is disappointing both to the NFL and to the Las Vegas community, we look forward to partnering with the Raiders, the City of Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority for a future NFL Draft as well as evaluating opportunities for other major NFL events in Las Vegas in the future, including the Super Bowl.”

The NFL worked with the City of Las Vegas to release renderings that showed initial plans for the draft festivities in Vegas back in January. This includes prospects arriving to the red carpet on the fountains in front of the Bellagio Hotel by boat.

However, after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) urged the public to cancel or postpone gatherings of 50 or more people with over the next eight weeks, and as the virus continues to spread, the sporting world has shut down or postponed an overwhelming majority of events the NFL decided to follow within these guidelines.

“Health and safety has always been our top priority, so despite it being a major disappointment, this was the right decision,” Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis said in a statement. “Although Las Vegas lost this chance to shine, there will be many more opportunities to show the world just what Las Vegas is made of. Whether it be the Draft, the Pro Bowl or the Super Bowl, the Sports and Entertainment Capital of the World is ready!”

Dante Fields

Recent Posts

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

3 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

3 days ago

Packers’ Coach Matt LaFleur Has Trust In QB Jordan Love To Change Playcalls

Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has expressed his full trust in Jordan Love's ability to…

3 days ago

Lack Of Foul Call In Pistons’ Game 5 Loss To Cleveland Cavaliers Sparks Controversy

A controversial no-foul call in the closing seconds overshadowed the Detroit Pistons' Game 5 matchup…

3 days ago

Crissy Froyd Speaks Out After Being Fired From ‘USA Today’ After Trashing Dianna Russini Over Mike Vrabel Scandal

Crissy Froyd, NFL Reporter for USA Today, was fired last month after comments about Dianna Russini and…

4 days ago

Keldon Johnson Back In Form After Magnificent Playoff Performance

Keldon Johnson was at what may have felt like him gelling into his role as…

4 days ago