News

Yankees Starter Frankie Montas To Miss First Half After Shoulder Surgery

New York Yankees starting pitcher Frankie Montas will miss at least the first half of the 2023 season as he recovers from surgery to his right shoulder. The operation Wednesday was successful, and he will begin throwing again in May.

“Everything went according to plan,” manager Aaron Boone told NBC Sports. “We’re day one out of surgery, so we have a long way to go from there. We’re hopeful at some point he can get back but I don’t want to best case, worst case.”

Last season, Montas had a number of minor setbacks as a member of both the Athletics and Yankees, as various arm issues forced him to miss multiple starts. In January, he first reported inflammation in his shoulder and subsequent tests confirmed that he would require arthroscopic surgery.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Though Montas’ timetable for recovery is still unclear, if the pitcher begins throwing in 12 weeks as planned, he could be available to appear on the mound over the summer. In eight games for New York last season, Montas compiled a 1-3 record and 6.35 ERA. Before he was traded, he earned a 4-9 record with a 3.18 ERA in 19 starts for Oakland. He is signed to the Yankees through the 2023 season and will enter free agency in 2024.

Montas was signed by the Red Sox in 2009 and traded to the White Sox in 2013, but the pitcher did not become a consistent major league starter until 2018, when he played his first full season for the Athletics. He quickly became a reliable arm for Oakland, even as the team struggled.

In addition to Montas’ surgery, the Yankees are also overseeing the recoveries of pitcher Nestor Cortes and minor-league catcher Ben Rortvedt. Rortvedt underwent surgery on Wednesday as well to treat an aneurysm in a shoulder artery, which had been causing circulation issues in his hand. Cortes is further along in his recovery from a right hamstring injury and has thrown off the mound twice in recent weeks.

Patrick Moquin

Recent Posts

Thunder’s Alex Caruso Goes Viral For Shoving Camera Away From Huddle During Tense Moment

We are witnessing a historic NBA playoff series. Basketball needed this—potential new rivals, the Oklahoma…

21 hours ago

Will Pep Guardiola Leave Man City As The GOAT?

Pep Guardiola is nearing the end of one of the most successful runs in soccer…

21 hours ago

PGA Championship Winner Aaron Rai Credits His Success To Wife Bishnoi – Who Frequently Beats Him

Aaron Rai has been one of golf's finest talents.Rai, who recently captured his first major…

1 day ago

NFL Sends Jaxon Smith-Njigba Wrong Trophy: ‘It’s Getting Disrespectful At This Point’

Seattle Seahawks' star Jaxon Smith-Njigba has another reason to feel pissed off.JSN posted a video…

1 day ago

Urban Meyer Loses His Bid For $30M Payday From Jaguars After Firing ‘For Cause’

Urban Meyer took another L in the NFL. It’s been four years, and the Jacksonville…

1 day ago

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

3 days ago