News

Yankees Get More Bad News About Giancarlo Stanton’s Return

Just a week ago, after facing live batting practice, New York Yankees designated hitter Giancarlo Stanton confirmed he could return to his team’s lineup by the end of the month.

The Yankees moved Stanton from the 15-day to the 60-day injured list last week, marking his earliest date to return on May 27.

“If I’m out there, I’m good enough to play,” Stanton said. “There’s no levels of anything else.”

Tuesday was the first time Stanton had experienced live pitching since being shut down at the beginning of spring training with elbow tendinitis in both arms.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

He saw ten pitches in two at-bats against right-hander Jake Cousins.

Stanton, 35, expects to go on a rehab assignment. He does not have a starting date or an expectation of how long it would last. However, Yankees manager Aaron Boone said that a rehab assignment likely wouldn’t be long because Stanton doesn’t play defense.

When Stanton has returned from IL in recent seasons, his rehab assignments have only lasted up to two days.

Stanton’s elbow troubles go back to last year, when he dealt with elbow pain during the World Series. Stanton stopped swinging a bat entirely in January due to the pain and didn’t resume until March.

“I know when G’s in there, he’s ready to go,” Boone said. He’s not going to be in there if he doesn’t feel like he can be really productive, so I know when that time comes, when he’s ready to do that, we should be in a good spot.”

But on Sunday, MLB.com reported that Stanton has no set date to return and isn’t ready for rehab. The wait continues.

Tobias Linkin

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

9 hours ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

10 hours ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

10 hours ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

2 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

2 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

2 days ago