News

White House Offered Rapid COVID-19 Tests To The Big Ten

With the Big Ten announcing earlier this week that it is going to resume playing games on Oct. 24, It was rumored that they had received assistance from President Donald Trump and his administration by making available rapid test kits that the United States government had just purchased. On Thursday, reports were confirmed that the Trump administration offered these kits to the conference, but it had gotten them through a private vendor.

Trump has been a vocal advocate for the return of sports, especially Big Ten Football, over the past few months. He reportedly had a conference call with the Big Ten presidents a few weeks ago during which he put pressure on the conference to find a way to return. “I called the commissioner a couple of weeks ago, and we started putting a lot of pressure on, frankly, because there was no reason for it not to come back,” Trump told reporters on Wednesday.

With the league scheduled to resume games in October, it appears that the president is taking a sort of victory lap that he has spurred major conference play to resume. It is still yet to be seen whether this will be a good thing for his image or a stain on it depending on how it goes with athlete testing and if outbreaks can be contained. “I’m really proud of it because it was dead,” Trump told Clay Travis on Fox Sports Radio. “It was totally dead, and I told my people, ‘Look, we’ve got to call.’ I said: ‘Who am I going to call? Who’s the head of it?’ And it was [Big Ten Commissioner] Kevin Warren, who really turned out to be very open about it.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Nico Ribadeneyra

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

3 days ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

3 days ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

3 days ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

4 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

4 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

4 days ago