WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 10: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks at an event honoring the National Hockey League champion Pittsburgh Penguins in the East Room of the White House October 10, 2017 in Washington, DC. The Penguins defeated the Nashville Predators in the 2017 NHL Finals, the fifth time the franchise has won the Stanley Cup. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
During Tuesday night’s presidential debate between President Donald Trump and Joe Biden, Trump repeated a claim that he was responsible for the Big Ten football conference’s decision to resume games this fall. “By the way, I brought back Big Ten football,” Trump said. “It was me, and I’m very happy to do it and the people of Ohio are very proud of me.” Despite his repeated claims, it is not clear what direct impact Trump had on the conference’s decision.
It is true that Trump called Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren and discussed the idea of restarting the conference season after they had been public about the season being canceled. But this came several weeks before the decision to return was actually announced. In a direct response to these claims, an anonymous Big Ten president told NBC News, “President Trump had nothing to do with our decision and did not impact the deliberations,” the anonymous president said. “In fact, when his name came up, it was a negative, because no one wanted this to be political.”
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.
The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…
James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…
Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…
Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…
A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…
Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…