News

Tokyo Olympic President Yoshiro Mori Says Olympics Won’t Be Delayed, Contradicts Comments By Board Member

The President of the Tokyo Olympic organization committee Yoshiro Mori confirmed Wednesday that the Olympic games will not be postponed, contradicting comments from another board member that called for a 1-2 year delay amid the vast spread of the Coronavirus.

Mori reportedly received an apology from Haruyuki Takahashi, the board member that first disputed the Olympic start date in a report by the Wall Street Journal. Mori hastily called a press conference Wednesday at committee headquarters to reiterate the committee’s stance on hosting the Olympics as planned starting July 24. “There is no plan now to change our plans,” Mori said as he spoke Japanese. “I have spoken to Mr. Takahashi and he has apologized. He certainly said an outlandish thing.”

Mori continued, “Our basic stance is to proceed with our preparation and to hold a safe Olympics.” He reitarated that Takahashi’s recommendation was his own opinion and not representative of the committee’s judgment.

The Coronvirus can be most contagious in large crowds and the International Olympic Committee has the right to force cancellation without breaking contract terms with Tokyo, according to ESPN. Their biggest hindrance in rescheduling the games are the events slated for 2022, including the Beijing Winter Olympics and the World Cup in Qatar, which creates a crammed sports schedule.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Aside from that issue, the committee has built over 3,000 apartments to house a combined 15,400 Olympic and Paralympic athletes throughout the event. NBC’s coverage of the games is also at stake after the network bid $1 billion for broadcasting rights. Combing that with sponsorship deals, the money generated for the IOC equals 91% their income/

Senior IOC member Dick Pound told the Associated Press last month that the Olympic committee had until the end of May to initiate a cancelation. He later added that postponement was a possibility. The IOC’s full statement regarding their position on March 3 is below:


 

 

 

 

 

Frank DeLorenzo

Recent Posts

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

1 day ago

Investigation Uncovers Inappropriate Touching By NC State Sports Medicine Director Robert Mupurhy

Title IX investigators found that North Carolina State sports medicine director Robert Murphy touched players…

1 day ago

Rapper J. Cole Is Headed To China To Play Basketball For Nanjing Monkey Kings

Rapper J. Cole has signed with a Chinese basketball team called the Nanjing Monkey Kings. …

1 day ago

Democrat Mark Cuban Regrets Selling Mavericks To Trump Ally Miriam Adelson & Others

Mark Cuban opened up in an interview about why he sold the Dallas Mavericks and…

1 day ago

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

4 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

4 days ago