News

South Korea Deploys Military As Norovirus Infects Winter Olympics Security Guards

A norovirus outbreak has struck the Winter Olympics facilities in Pyeongchang, and South Korean officials have begun taking security precautions.

South Korea norovirus outbreak news

Around 1,200 security guards were pulled from duty after 41 guards suffered a sudden onset of diarrhea and vomiting. The 2018 Winter Games are set to begin Friday (Feb. 9) in Pyeongchang.

To prevent the spread of the disease, the other guards were withdrawn and replaced with 900 military personnel as of Monday afternoon, according to a statement from the Pyeongchang Olympics committee.

“The military personnel … will be responsible for security checks of the 20 venues as they take up jobs such as security searches, previously done by civilian safety personnel, until the patients’ condition is normalized,” the statement said.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Organizers said all Olympic accommodations and buses were being disinfected. Though the opening ceremony is set for Friday, some Olympic events — like alpine skiing, biathlon and luge — will begin on Thursday. The Games will end on Feb. 25.

The Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said in a statement Monday that the 41 infected security guards had been staying at the same building in Pyeongchang.

Food and water at the accommodations are being tested, while the Olympics committee added it would strengthen checks on sleeping quarters for staff working at the Games to prevent further infections.

When Pyeongchang was awarded the 2018 Winter Olympics more than seven years ago, tensions in the region were much lower, and North Korea did not have missiles believed capable of reaching the United States. However, the current situation is very different, and some countries (including the United Kingdom) have been preparing for a potential evacuation. Pyeongchang is located roughly 60 miles south of the Demilitarized Zone separating North and South Korea.

NBC will handle coverage duties for the Winter Olympics.

South Korea’s government has reportedly banned 36,000 foreigners from entering the country for the Games due to security issues.

SOCHI, RUSSIA – MARCH 16: The Russia and South Korea flags fly as a performer sings during the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games Closing Ceremony at Fisht Olympic Stadium on March 16, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (Photo by Dennis Grombkowski/Getty Images)

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

15 hours ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

15 hours ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

16 hours ago

Joshua Báez Makes MLB History With 3 Home Runs In Cardinals Debut

St. Louis Cardinals rookie outfielder Joshua Báez etched his name into the MLB record books…

2 days ago

Falcon’s James Pearce Jr. Suspended 8 Games By NFL For Stalking Incident Involving Ex, WNBA Star Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons edge rusher James Pearce Jr. has been suspended for the first eight games…

3 days ago

Drew Allar & Will Howard Impress As Steelers Cruise Past Packers In Preseason Opener – Aaron Rodgers Doesn’t Play

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened their 2026 preseason with a convincing 28-9 victory over the Green…

3 days ago