Categories: NewsZ-Home Slider

Roger Federer Blames Bath Mishap For Injury That Led To Surgery

World No. 3 Men’s Tennis Player Roger Federer blames a bathroom mishap while on parental duty for the knee injury that forced him to undergo surgery for the very first time in his entire career.

Roger Federer Blames Bath Mishap For Injury That Led To Surgery

Federer spoke at a press conference on Thursday, on the eve of his first match since the Feb. 3 operation, and explained that he hurt himself while preparing a bath for his twin daughters. He turned suddenly and heard his left knee click.

“It was a very simple movement, probably a movement I’ve done a million times in my life,” he said. “I didn’t think much of it when it did happen.”

Federer’s ankle soon became swollen, which led him to undergo arthroscopic surgery just a few days later to repair a torn meniscus. He is scheduled to return Friday, when he will face longtime Argentine rival Juan Martin del Potro in the second round of the Miami Open.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Federer, 34, is now playing in Key Biscane for the 16th time, even though he missed the tournament last year due to scheduling reasons.

Following his speedy recovery, Federer made a late decision to enter the tournament this month. He was on crutches for 12 days and has trained without restrictions for the past nine days.

“Expectations are really low, which is nice for a change — just see where I am,” the 17-time Grand Slam champion said. “I’m just really pleased I’m back. I didn’t expect myself to be back here, to be quite honest, after the surgery.”

Federer’s layoff comes amidst a scandal involving Maria Sharapova failing a doping test, and a heated debate regarding equal prize money for men and women.

“I’m happy that tennis has produced some of the greatest female athletes in the world,” he said. “Equal prize money is a good thing.”

Fellow Grand Slam champion del Potro is also recovering from an injury. He returned to the tour in February after an 11-month layoff, during which he twice underwent surgery on his left wrist.

“His injury was much, much greater,” Federer said. “That’s why I’m really pleased for him that he was able to find a way back onto the tour.”

Federer is 15-5 against del Potro, including 5-1 in Grand Slam tournaments. His only loss came in the 2009 U.S. Open final for del Potro’s lone major title.

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

17 hours ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

17 hours ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

18 hours ago

Joshua Báez Makes MLB History With 3 Home Runs In Cardinals Debut

St. Louis Cardinals rookie outfielder Joshua Báez etched his name into the MLB record books…

2 days ago

Falcon’s James Pearce Jr. Suspended 8 Games By NFL For Stalking Incident Involving Ex, WNBA Star Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons edge rusher James Pearce Jr. has been suspended for the first eight games…

4 days ago

Drew Allar & Will Howard Impress As Steelers Cruise Past Packers In Preseason Opener – Aaron Rodgers Doesn’t Play

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened their 2026 preseason with a convincing 28-9 victory over the Green…

4 days ago