News

Rockets Looking To Trade Kevin Porter Jr. After Assault Charges

The Houston Rockets are exploring trade options for shooting guard Kevin Porter Jr., who was charged with felony assault and strangulation charges earlier this week. Porter is being accused of attacking his girlfriend in a New York City hotel Monday, fracturing a vertebra in her neck and cutting her face above the right eye.

Porter was released from police custody on Tuesday on $75,000 bond and will have to return to court in New York on Oct. 16. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said Wednesday that the league had opened an investigation into Porter’s actions in order to determine if he can play through court proceedings.

“The allegations here are horrific, no question about it,” Silver said. “But I don’t know anything more about the actual facts, other than reading those allegations. We’re not in season. … We have a bit of time to decide whether it would be appropriate for him to go to training camp or not.”

According to The Athletic, the Rockets have contacted several teams for a trade involving Porter, offering draft compensation in return. Houston has prepared for a very competitive 2023-24 season and seems to be trading Porter away for a player who can contribute immediately. Porter is not expected to join the team in training camp in October.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

It could be extremely difficult for the Rockets to trade away Porter because of the issues facing him beyond the basketball court. The guard was very effective last season, scoring 19.2 points per game, but it will be difficult to convince a team to take a player facing felony charges.

Porter signed a contract extension with the Rockets last October and is scheduled to receive $15.86 million for the next four years. A suspension or ban from competition, as well as prison time if he is convicted, would likely nullify most of the money Houston or any other NBA team would have to pay him as part of this deal.

Patrick Moquin

Recent Posts

Matthew Stafford Stays In L.A. With $55 Million, 1-Year Contract

Matthew Stafford is getting paid.The Los Angeles Rams officially agreed to a new contract extension…

2 days ago

Will Lebron James Take A Pay Cut To Help Build A Championship Team?

LeBron James, 41, remains the biggest topic of any NBA offseason storyline.Questions are swirling around…

2 days ago

Heated Fan Exchange Involving Rory McIlroy During the PGA Championship Spotlights Role Of Fans’ Behavior In Golf

Rory McIlroy found himself involved in a heated exchange with a fan during the final…

2 days ago

Eagles’ Star Nolan Smith Arrested For Driving 135 MPH, Mugshot Released

Philadelphia Eagles pass rusher Nolan Smith was arrested May 15 after allegedly driving 135 mph…

3 days ago

49ers’ George Kittle Shows Loyalty To His Oklahoma Roots In Thunder V. Spurs Series

George Kittle is one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history, but people often…

3 days ago

The Case For Alex Caruso: Why Thunder Needs Him Now

Alex Caruso had an insane performance in game one of the Western Conference finals versus…

3 days ago