News

Patriots’ Julian Edelman Helped Stop Possible School Shooting By Checking Instagram Post

New England Patriots star Julian Edelman may have helped prevent a school shooting simply by reporting a threatening social media post.

Julian Edelman School Shooting Instagram Threat

According to The New York Times and ESPN, the veteran wide receiver was visiting his friend and former teammate Danny Amendola in Texas late last month when he got a direct message on Instagram. The message read: “Dude, there is a kid in your comment section says he s going to shoot up a school, I think you should alert the authority.”

SLIDESHOW: 30 Best Sports Instagrams!

Edelman then reportedly informed his assistant in Boston of this. The assistant, Shannen Moen, discovered the original threat on Instagram after going through hundreds of comments: “I’m going to shoot my school up watch the news.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

SLIDESHOW: 10 Highest-Paid Athletes

The wideout stated he immediately recalled the horrific shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, where 17 people were killed on Feb. 14 by a 19-year-old former student of the school. This has been one of several school shootings that have occurred in recent months that have spurred a national debate for more gun control.

“With the emotions of what happened, and I have a kid now, I said, holy Toledo, what is going on?” Edelman told The Times. 

After Moen called 911, the person who posted the threat was identified — thanks to a tracing of the commenter’s IP address — as a 14-year-old boy in Port Huron, Michigan. The boy reportedly confessed to making the threat after police arrive at his home, where they found two rifles owned by his mother.

The boy was charged with making a false report of a terrorism threat and was sent to a juvenile correction facility, where he is still being held.

Edelman called his Instagram follower who notified him about the threat “the real hero,” and said he plans to send the fan a gift as a thank you.

Edelman’s agent echoed several people’s sentiments that no comment like this one, online or not, should ever be treated lightly.

“It’s not good enough anymore to disregard comments like those as offhanded,” said Edelman’s agent Don Yee. “All of us, including players, are learning together to take these kinds of things very seriously.”

One CNN journalist shared a screenshot of the message the person sent Edelman to alert him of the threat.

“We are thankful everyone takes these types of things seriously so we can investigate these situations fully,” said Capt. Joseph Platzer, one of the policemen whose department helped deal with the boy who made the threat. “We like to remind people that if they see something, say something.”

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos also tweeted her thanks to Edelman:

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

3 days ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

3 days ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

3 days ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

4 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

4 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

4 days ago