Photo © Tennessee Journalists via Flickr Commons
The NCAA instituted a major college basketball rule change this year that allows players to withdraw from the draft process after the NBA Combine. This would allow players to receive genuine feedback on their prospects.
This is a very pro-player rule, and Kentucky Wildcats coach John Calipari was one of the first NCAA coaches to express his satisfaction with the new rule.
On Wednesday, Calipari announced via Twitter that every player on his team, walk-ons included, will enter this year’s NBA Draft in hopes of scoring an invite to the Combine in May.
“When the season’s over, it’s about each individual player and what’s right for them and their families,” Calipari said. “With that being said, every player who is eligible for the draft, including our walk-ons, will submit their names for the NBA Draft in hopes of being invited to the combine in May.”
Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!
A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.
Calipari has previously stated several times that he believes the NBA Draft is just as important for his program as the national championship. One of his program mottos is “succeed and proceed,” and given what we know about Calipari, the fact that he is a fan of this new rule comes as no surprise.
Kentucky guards Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray and forward Skal Labissiere are considered likely draft choices. The Wildcats lost to Indiana in the second round of the NCAA tournament Saturday, and finished the season 27-9.
We are witnessing a historic NBA playoff series. Basketball needed this—potential new rivals, the Oklahoma…
Pep Guardiola is nearing the end of one of the most successful runs in soccer…
Aaron Rai has been one of golf's finest talents.Rai, who recently captured his first major…
Seattle Seahawks' star Jaxon Smith-Njigba has another reason to feel pissed off.JSN posted a video…
Urban Meyer took another L in the NFL. It’s been four years, and the Jacksonville…
Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…