News

Judge Orders Preservation Of Evidence In Aaron Hernandez Death Case

A Massachusetts judge ordered on Friday that all evidence in the jail suicide of Aaron Hernandez be preserved, granting a request from the former New England Patriots star’s fiancee that Hernandez’s family be allowed to investigate the circumstances of his death.

Judge Orders Evidence in Aaron Hernandez Suicide Case be preserved

Bristol Superior Court Judge Thomas McGuire stated, in granting Jenkins Hernandez’s request, he believes it’s only fair that Hernandez’s family, as well as government and the public, know exactly what led to his death.

The 27-year-old former NFL tight end was discovered hanged in his cell in a maximum-security prison early Wednesday. Hernandez was serving a life sentence for the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd, a semi-pro football player who had been dating Jenkins Hernandez’s sister.

“The preservation of evidence regarding the circumstances of Aaron Hernandez’s death is crucial to a full, complete and transparent investigation,” family lawyer George Leontire said.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Hernandez was also on trial for two murders he committed in Texas in 2012, and was acquitted of that double homicide on April 14. One of the ex-Patriots star’s lawyers, John Thompson, stated he would request that a court erase that murder conviction. Courts in Massachusetts and several other states typically vacate the convictions of defendants who die before their appeals are heard. All first-degree murder convictions in Massachusetts prompt an automatic appeal.

The former football player left three notes near a Bible in his cell, according to authorities, although Hernandez’s family say they don’t know what was contained in the notes.

Llyod’s mother, Ursual Ward, told reporters in Boston that she still forgives Hernandez and hopes he found peace after hanging himself in jail. Ward’s attorney, Doug Sheff, revealed he has asked the Patriots and the NFL Players’ Association to voluntarily release any money Hernandez may still be owed so a court can decide who receives it.

Nevertheless, Ward added that she misses her son dearly.

“I lost my son, the love of my life,” Ward said. “I’ll never ever see him again.”

Ward has filed a wrongful-death lawsuit that seeks unspecified damages from Hernandez’s estate.

The judge’s order comes one day after Cardell Hayes was sentenced to 25 years for the murder of another former NFL player, retired New Orleans Saints star Will Smith. 

NORTH ATTLEBORO, MA – AUGUST 22: Aaron Hernandez is escorted into the courtroom of the Attleboro District Court for his hearing on August 22, 2013 in North Attleboro, Massachusetts. Former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez has been indicted on a first-degree murder charge for the death of Odin Lloyd. (Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

5 hours ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

5 hours ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

5 hours ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

1 day ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

1 day ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

1 day ago