News

Jets Continue Veteran Purge, Cut David Harris And Soon Eric Decker

The NFL offseason has not been kind to New York Jets veterans, or its fans for that matter.

On Tuesday, the organization continued its apparent overhaul as highly-favorited linebacker David Harris was cut after ten seasons with the Jets. Harris was the team’s second-round draft pick back in 2007. Also on the Jets’ chopping block is wide receiver Eric Decker, who was told by staff that he will either be traded or released to free agency.

Jets Owner and CEO Woody Johnson had this to say about Harris:

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Harris was second all-time in franchise history in tackles, with 1,260. “The Hitman” as he is nicknamed was even discussing a salary reduction, and his quiet, humble approach to New York and the game made him so well-liked by fans.

Decker, 30, joined the Jets prior to the 2014 season and has also been a fan-favorite. He was 19 touchdown receptions over his three seasons with the team, with 12 of those coming in 2015 alone.

Both Decker and Harris participated in team workouts on Tuesday before being notified of the decisions, being told by Head Coach Todd Bowles.

This comes after the team parted ways with another wide receiver in Brandon Marshall. Marshall was highly productive in his time with the Jets, but will still play at MetLife Stadium – the 33-year-old signed a two-year deal with the New York Giants in March. The Jets also lost long-time veterans Nick Mangold, Nick Folk and Darrelle Revis so far this offseason.

This week’s moves will free up about $11 million in cap space, but the decision comes as voluntary player workouts come to a close and just shortly before mandatory minicamp begins. Now, the Jets look like an absolute train wreck and has fans already calling for the team to tank the upcoming season.

The Jets certainly have a long road ahead of them this season, with Josh McCown currently projected as the team’s starting QB, and only Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty as alternate options. Quincy Enunwa will now look to be the top receiving target following Marshall departure and Decker’s departure to-be.

Pitting the Jets in a division that features the defending Super Bowl Champions, the New England Patriots, and well, good luck.

 

 

Matthew Lamb

Recent Posts

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

1 day ago

Investigation Uncovers Inappropriate Touching By NC State Sports Medicine Director Robert Mupurhy

Title IX investigators found that North Carolina State sports medicine director Robert Murphy touched players…

1 day ago

Rapper J. Cole Is Headed To China To Play Basketball For Nanjing Monkey Kings

Rapper J. Cole has signed with a Chinese basketball team called the Nanjing Monkey Kings. …

1 day ago

Democrat Mark Cuban Regrets Selling Mavericks To Trump Ally Miriam Adelson & Others

Mark Cuban opened up in an interview about why he sold the Dallas Mavericks and…

1 day ago

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

4 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

4 days ago