News

Dwyane Wade Reportedly Open To Leaving Heat As Team Talks Stall

Dwyane Wade‘s initial contract negotiations with the Miami Heat have not produced agreement between the parties, thus the shooting guard is preparing to field outside offers when free agency begins Friday, according to NBA sources.

Dwyane Wade Reportedly Open To Leaving Heat As Team Talks Stall

Wade’s representatives have reportedly made it known to multiple teams over the last several days that he will be on the market. Some teams have been skeptical, however, doubting Wade would seriously consider leaving the Heat, with whom he has played 13 seasons and won three titles.

The Heat and Wade had multiple contentious weeks last year before they finally settled on a one-year, $20 million deal for the 2015-2016 season.

Wade, 34, played in 74 games, his most in five years, and averaged 19 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.6 assists, strongly hinting he had moved past the knee issues that had plagued him for so many years.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

At the end of the season, said he hoped negotiations with the Heat would proceed more smoothly this summer.

“I hope that everything is quiet and works out the way I want it to,” Wade said. “But I have no control over that, as much as people might think. It’s a lot of moving parts in free agency. I’m not worried about it.”

Miami currently has around $40 million in cap space and have nine free agents, including Wade, center Hassan Whiteside and small forward Luol Deng. 

They are one of the six teams set to have a meeting with Oklahoma City forward Kevin Durant once free agency begins, according to ESPN sources and media reports. The Los Angeles Clippers, San Antonio Spurs, and Boston Celtics are all reportedly interested in Durant. This has led the Heat to maintain maximum flexibility as it heads into July.

In addition to gaging Wade’s interest, Miami also has to manage Chris Bosh’s situation, as the forward’s status heading into next season remains undetermined. Bosh’s season was cut short for the second straight year due to health concerns stemming from a blood clot issue.

PHOTO: CHARLOTTE, NC – APRIL 29: Dwyane Wade #3 of the Miami Heat brings the ball up the court against the Charlotte Hornets during game six of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals of the 2016 NBA Playoffs at Time Warner Cable Arena on April 29, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

1 hour ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

1 hour ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

2 hours ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

1 day ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

1 day ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

1 day ago