Categories: News

Donald Trump’s Turnberry Golf Club Reportedly Dropped From The Open Championship

The Open Championship, formerly The British Open, happens every year in July and currently ten golf courses spread through Scotland are host venues rotated each year since the first tournament was played in 1860. According to a recent announcement from The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews (R&A), one golf course may be dropped from the rotation.

The gold course that may be dropped is Turnberry Golf Club, which is owned by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump. According to The Independent on Sunday, the R&A has privately discussed that the Trump-owned course may be out of contention of hosting the pretigious golf tournament due to controversial remarks made by Trump regarding “Muslims, Mexicans, Chinese and women, among others.” After the R&A learned of the comments in June of Trump calling Mexicans “rapists” and the oncoming racial discrimination points put forward, an unnamed R&A member said, “Those who forecast worse would come, including warnings from our American cousins, have been proved correct.” Martin Slumbers, the new chief executive of the R&A, was expected to endorse Turnberry to be host of the tournament in 2020.

Trump bought the golf club last year in hopes of being on the 18th green for the final round of the tournament and handing out to the champion of that year with R&A members standing beside Trump. Members have said Turnberry may not be ruled out fully but as long as Trump is owner, the course will never be considered host. “2020 will not happen here,” an R&A insider. said. “Turnberry will be back. But perhaps not Trump Turnberry.”

Photo: AYR, SCOTLAND – JULY 30: Republican Presidential Candidate Donald Trump drives a golf buggy during his visits to his Scottish golf course Turnberry on July 30, 2015 in Ayr, Scotland. Donald Trump answered questions from the media at a press conference held in his hotel. (Photo by Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images)

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Ryan Kappy

Recent Posts

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

1 day ago

Investigation Uncovers Inappropriate Touching By NC State Sports Medicine Director Robert Mupurhy

Title IX investigators found that North Carolina State sports medicine director Robert Murphy touched players…

1 day ago

Rapper J. Cole Is Headed To China To Play Basketball For Nanjing Monkey Kings

Rapper J. Cole has signed with a Chinese basketball team called the Nanjing Monkey Kings. …

1 day ago

Democrat Mark Cuban Regrets Selling Mavericks To Trump Ally Miriam Adelson & Others

Mark Cuban opened up in an interview about why he sold the Dallas Mavericks and…

1 day ago

Troy Aikman Committed To Dolphins Despite Unclear Role

Troy Aikman told DLLS Sports that he is fully committed to the Miami Dolphins. Aikman…

4 days ago

Nike’s Trademark Bid For Bronny James “B9” Logo Gets Rejected

Nike's attempt to trademark Los Angeles Lakers guard Bronny James' "B9" logo has been denied due to "likelihood of…

4 days ago