News

Dana White: If Conor McGregor Isn’t Back By March, UFC Will Take Away His Lightweight Belt

Conor McGregor may be in possession of the UFC lightweight title for more than a year now, but the 29-year-old Irishman could risk losing it.

Conor McGregor UFC Return News

Company president Dana White has said that the feisty, 5-foot-9, 155-pound fighter must return to UFC by March or face being stripped of his belt.

“As long as Conor is willing to fight by March, we could do Khabib [Nurmagomedov] versus Tony [Ferguson] and then the winner fights Conor for the title,” White told Yahoo! Sports. “Or, if Conor wants to sit out until next fall, then we’d have to make Khabib versus Tony for the title, not the interim title.”

“This is a game of time,” White continued. “We can’t let this go on forever and not give other guys an opportunity. Tony has earned his dues. Khabib has earned his dues and the list goes on and on. The belt has to move on.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

McGregor has been non-committal about his MMA return. He lost to Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match in Las Vegas in August, a contest that had been months in the making.

White also said he plans to pit women’s featherweight champion Cris “Cyborg” Justino against bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes next.

Justino (19-1 MMA, 4-0 UFC), however, quickly said she refused to participate in a fight against Nunes (15-4 MMA, 8-1 UFC), who requested the match.

Cyborg, a featherweight champion, said bantamweight (135-pound) titleholder Nunes needs to prove herself at featherweight before earning a title shot.

Justino added that she is focused on Invicta FC featherweight champion Megan Anderson (8-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC), whom she called out after defeating ex-bantamweight champion Holly Holm last week at UFC 219.

If that matchup doesn’t materialize, Cyborg wrote, she’ll move down the line of Invicta contenders to Pam Sorenson (6-2).


NEW YORK, NY – NOVEMBER 12: (R-L) Conor McGregor of Ireland punches Eddie Alvarez in their UFC lightweight championship fight in their UFC lightweight championship fight during the UFC 205 event at Madison Square Garden on November 12, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images )

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

2 days ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

2 days ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

2 days ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

3 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

3 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

3 days ago