News

Conor McGregor’s Long-Awaited UFC Comeback Ends In Humiliating 69 Seconds

Conor McGregor‘s five-year road back to the Octagon lasted barely more than a minute. The Irish former two-division champion suffered a serious right knee injury just seconds into his UFC 329 main event rematch against Max Holloway on Saturday night in Las Vegas, ending the fight before it had really begun.

McGregor, 37, opened the bout by charging at Holloway with a jumping kick. He missed his target, but the way he landed appeared to buckle his knee. He slipped to the canvas repeatedly over the next several seconds, grimacing and unable to put weight on the leg, before referee Mike Beltran waved off the contest at the 69-second mark. Holloway was awarded a TKO victory.

UFC CEO Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that promotion doctors suspect McGregor tore his ACL, though the diagnosis has not been officially confirmed. White admitted he’d expected a longer fight, saying he didn’t know what McGregor had left in the tank after such a long layoff.

Less than two hours after leaving T-Mobile Arena, McGregor addressed the injury directly on social media, writing that he’d had no issues heading into the bout and had been training normally throughout camp. He called the moment “hell” and pushed back hard against online speculation that he had entered the cage already injured, insisting he felt calm and fully ready before the opening bell. He vowed to return.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Holloway, who was competing at welterweight for the first time in his career, was gracious in victory. He said he found himself telling the referee mid-fight that McGregor was clearly hurt and that the bout needed to be stopped.

The result adds another setback to what has been a turbulent stretch for McGregor outside the cage. He hadn’t fought since 2021, sidelined first by a broken leg and then by a string of legal issues, including a 2024 civil trial in which a jury found him liable for sexual assault — a verdict he has said he intends to appeal. A planned comeback fight in 2024 against Michael Chandler also fell apart due to a toe injury.

With McGregor now 1-3 in his last four fights and facing a lengthy recovery from a potential ACL tear, it remains unclear whether — or when — fans will see “The Notorious” back in the Octagon again.

uSports Editors

Recent Posts

Peyton Watson Traded To Cavaliers In Multi-Team Blockbuster

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired forward Peyton Watson in a multi-team trade finalized in August…

22 hours ago

James Harden Agrees To 3-Year, $97M Deal to Remain With Cavaliers – Is He Worth It?

James Harden is staying in Cleveland. The veteran guard has agreed to a three-year, $97…

22 hours ago

Mexico’s CONMEBOL Ambitions Could Become Entangled With Infantino’s FIFA Future

Mexico's relationship with the international soccer establishment is facing a potentially significant turning point after…

22 hours ago

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

2 days ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

2 days ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

2 days ago