News

Conor McGregor Issued Boxing License In California

Conor McGregor has yet to officially respond to the UFC’s decision to take away his featherweight title, but on the bright side, he has managed to obtain one good thing recently.

Conor McGregor Issued Boxing License In California

The 28-year-old Irishman has been issued a boxing license in the state of California, according to his management team.

“He got a license today and a federal ID,” California State Athletic Commission executive officer Andy Foster confirmed with MMAFighting.com. “He’s a California boxer now.”

UFC President Dana White declined comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

McGregor, who became the first man to simultaneously hold UFC titles in two weight divisions when he defeated Eddie Alvarez at New York’s UFC 205 earlier this month, has previously expressed interest in switching from mixed martial arts to boxing.

The Irishman has even specified that he would like to fight undefeated and now-retired boxing champion Floyd Mayweather despite his lack of experience in the sport.

Just a few days ago, the UFC unceremoniously stripped McGregor of his 145-pound title, which he won less than one year ago, and named Jose Aldo the new champion. McGregor remains the UFC lightweight champion, however.

McGregor has also threatened to steer clear of Las Vegas due to a dispute with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw him fined $150,000 for a pre-fight fracas with Nate Diaz in which the Irishman threw water bottles at his opponent.

Both McGregor and Mayweather have been challenging each other to a fight, although no bout has yet officially been set.

“He’s qualified [as a boxer],” Foster said. “I’d love to see him fight in California. It just needs to be the right opponent. Certainly a high-level opponent. We’re happy to license him. We’re happy he’s a California fighter.”

McGregor was also outspoken in demanding an ownership stake in the UFC in return for all the attention and revenue he has brought the company.

“I need to be set for life for this,” he said. “If you want me to be truly on on board, then I need to be all-in on this proper, as an owner, and have an equity stake in the company. That’s what I’m looking for.”

NEW YORK, NY – NOVEMBER 12: (R-L) Conor McGregor of Ireland punches Eddie Alvarez in their UFC lightweight championship fight in their UFC lightweight championship fight during the UFC 205 event at Madison Square Garden on November 12, 2016 in New York City. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images )

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Ketel Marte Placed On Restricted List, Returns To Phoenix For Knee Testing

Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte did not appear for Monday's series opener against the…

12 hours ago

Jeanie Buss Opposes Family’s Sale Of Remaining Lakers Stake To Bob Iger & Joshua Kushner

A family rift has erupted at the top of the Los Angeles Lakers, as Jeanie…

12 hours ago

Former Wimbledon Finalist Nick Kyrgios Provisionally Suspended After Testing Positive For Cocaine

Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended from professional tennis after testing positive…

12 hours ago

Kyle Tucker, With $240 Million Contract, Booed At Dodger Stadium As Slump Deepens

Dodgers fans turned on Kyle Tucker at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, booing the outfielder after…

1 day ago

WNBA Stars Paige Bueckers & Azzi Fudd Are Finally Talking About Being A Couple, On Their Own Terms

Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are stepping into the spotlight to discuss their romantic relationship…

1 day ago

Giants Sign Najee Harris, Release JuJu Smith-Schuster in Roster Shakeup

The New York Giants made two notable roster moves on Tuesday, signing running back Najee…

1 day ago